Health Information Technology
"Clinician Perspectives on Electronic Health Information Sharing for Transitions of Care"
The American College of Physicians (ACP), the Bipartisan Policy Center, and Doctors Helping Doctors Transform Health Care have released the results of a survey that reveals an overwhelming majority of clinicians believe that the electronic exchange of health information will have a positive impact on improving the quality of patient care, coordinating care, meeting the demands of new care models, and participating in third-party reporting and incentive programs.
Electronic Health Records (EHR)
Greater use of health information technology (HIT), including the use of electronic health records (EHRs), the implementation of systems to enable electronic prescribing by physicians, and health information exchanges have the potential for improving the quality of patient care, reducing medical errors, increasing efficiency, reducing administrative costs, and achieving substantial cost savings.
- AmericanEHR Partners is a web-based resource for EHR system selection/implementation developed by the American College of Physicians and Cientis Technologies. It includes information on EHR Incentive Programs.
- Physicians Use of EHR Systems 2014: A new report from AmericanEHR Partners and the American Medical Association (AMA) based on a survey of physicians, shows that compared to five years ago, more physicians are reporting being dissatisfied or very dissatisfied with their EHR system. The survey found that close to, or more than half of all respondents, reported a negative impact in response to questions about how their EHR system improved costs, efficiency or productivity.
- Top 10 EHR Market Share Report – 2014: This report identifies EHR market share by vendor and product within different sized clinics throughout the U.S. The report boasts 15 graphs and 14 charts which accurately identify EHR market share ranging from the solo practitioner to clinics with 25+ clinicians. Use code "ACPMEM25" for a 25% member discount.
- Tablet Usage by Physicians 2013 & Mobile Usage in the Medical Space 2013: This report analyzes how physicians use tablets and mobile technology within their medical practice. It shows what tablet and smartphone features physicians are using and how often they use them. The frequency of mobile activities are then broken down and compared between EHR and non-EHR users. Use code "ACPMEM25" for a 25% member discount.
- Registration for Medicare & Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs
- EHR Adoption Road Map and Tools
A step-by-step guide to finding, selecting and implementing a successful Electronic Health Record system.
- Health Information Privacy and Security (HIPSC) Toolkit
HIPSC addresses barriers to health information exchange and aims to effectively address privacy and security issues pertinent to electronic health information exchange through multi-state collaboration. The purpose of the toolkit is to increase provider awareness of the privacy and security benefits and challenges of HIE.
- National Boardband Map is particularly helpful for providers in the EHR Incentive Programs that need to determine their broadband download speed for exclusion criteria.
- Updated CMS Guidance for Calculating Patient Electronic Access Across
If you are an eligible professional, new CMS guidance may help you meet the Patient Electronic Access objective.
- Interactive decision tool for reporting 2014 CEHRT
In May 2014, CMS released a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) that would grant flexibility to providers who are experiencing difficulties fully implementing 2014 Edition certified EHR technology (CEHRT) to attest this year. Because of this, CMS has created an interactive decision tool that guides providers through their potential participation options for 2014.
- My EHR Participation Timeline
This tool will help you determine which year and how much time is required to demonstrate Stage 1, 2, and 3 of meaningful use and the maximum payment for each year you participate.
- "Medicare Incentive Payments Tip Sheet"
How to coordinate participating in multiple Medicare incentive programs (e.g., eRx, PQRI, EHR) at the same time.
- Meaningful Use Pocket Guide
Download this easy-to-access pocket guide comparing Stage 1 and Stage 2. This guide highlights new measures in Stage 2 and measures combined from Stage 1 with existing or new measures for Stage 2.
- HHS resources and information on Meaningful Use
- Stage 2 Overview Tip Sheet
CMS recently published a final rule that specifies the Stage 2 criteria that eligible professionals (EPs), eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals (CAHs) must meet in order to continue to participate in the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs.
- Stage 2 of the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs Final Rule
A letter from CMS on the rules governing Stage 2 of the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Recordm(EHR) Incentive Programs.
- Stage 2 Toolkit
This all-inclusive resource from CMS helps prepare for Stage 2 of the Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs.
- Stage 2 MU Core and Menu Measures
- Stage 2 Attestation Calculator
This online tool allows providers to test whether or not they would successfully demonstrate Stage 2 meaningful use for the EHR Incentive Programs.
- Stage 1 vs Stage 2 comparison
This CMS guide lists all measures and objectives for both Stage 1 and Stage 2
Guide to Privacy and Security of Health Information
This ONC instructional guide is designed to help practices understand the important role privacy and security play in the use of electronic health records (EHRs) and Meaningful Use.
CMS 2014 EHR Meaningful Use Webinar (1 hr)
This webinar presented by the CMS Philadelphia Regional Office provides an excellent overview of Meaningful Use, including Q&A. (Jan 2014)
- Medicare & Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs
What Medicare & Medicaid Professionals Need to Know in 2014
- Beginners Guide to Meaningful Use
This interactive slide set from CMS explains the EHR incentive program for Stage 1 eligible professionals.
- Medicare e-Prescribing Incentive Program
Learn more about Medicare's e-Prescribing Incentive Program.
- Guides and Links to non-ACP Sites
Publications, articles and resources regarding e-Prescribing.
- ACP Positions
Read what the College has to say about e-Prescribing.
Where We Stand
From the ACA to Medicare reform, ACP is advocating for internists and their patients on issues we care about.
Annals Virtual Patients Series 1-4 Available
Annals Virtual Patients is a unique online patient simulator that helps you learn while you earn CME Credit and MOC Points.
Start your journey now.
ACP keeps you on target to earn MOC Points
December 2015 is the deadline for most internists participating in ABIM MOC to earn some MOC points. Review our stimulating and rewarding options.