Annual Meeting and Announcements
Ethics Sessions Scheduled for Internal Medicine 2016
Committee: Ethics, Professionalism & Human Rights Committee (EPHRC)
Staff Liaison: Lois Snyder Sulmasy, JD
2:15 PM - 3:45 PM
Ethics Year in Review
- What are the emerging medical ethics and professionalism issues for internists today?
- How are ethics issues affecting patient care?
- What should practitioners keep in mind when confronting these issues?
2:15 PM - 3:45 PM
When Someone Else Must Decide: Surrogate Decision Making in Clinical
Practice—Ethical Challenges Role Play
- What are the ethical issues of surrogate decision making in the clinical context?
- What interests of patients, physicians, family members, and the community are at stake in surrogate decision making for clinical care?
- How might the process and outcomes of surrogate decision making be improved?
8:15 AM - 9:15 AM
A Return to Bedside Medicine: Countering the Hidden Curriculum
- What ethical and professional values are being transmitted in the hidden curriculum?
- Can greater recognition of the role that the hidden curriculum plays during medical education help counterbalance negative messages that may be transmitted?
- Can the culture be positively affected?
11:15 AM - 12:45 PM
Ethics and EHRs: Best Practices for Patient Care and Training
- What ethical and professional challenges do electronic health records (EHRs) present for physicians?
- Do EHRs and "copy and paste" support high-quality patient care and provide a teaching tool for trainees?
- Can EHRs enhance patient-physician communication and team-based care?
National Healthcare Decisions Day
The 9th Annual National Healthcare Decisions Day (NHDD) will be held on April 16, 2016. A collaborative effort among national, state and community organizations, NHDD is intended to ensure that "all adults with decision-making capacity in the United States have the information and opportunity to communicate and document their healthcare decisions." NHDD activities aim to increase awareness of the purposes and benefits of advance care planning, make resources for completing an advance directive available to those wishing to complete a directive, and encourage conversations with family, friends and health care providers about future healthcare wishes. Over the past seven years, NHDD has succeeded in reaching millions of people with information about advance directives and National Healthcare Decisions Day, and over 29,000 advance directives have been completed on National Healthcare Decision Days themselves. For more information about becoming involved in National Healthcare Decisions Day, visit their website at www.nhdd.org.
Prescribe Opioids Safely
Access this FREE online educational program to help you safely prescribe opioids and manage patients with chronic pain. Online CME is available. Find out more.
Inspire the Next Generation of Medicine
Contribute to the ACP Education Fund and support our profession and the young minds starting their careers.
Share your love of medicine by making a charitable donation today! All donations are tax-deductible.