Individual Action Plan Worksheet
Individual Action Plan Worksheet - Created by: Charlene M. Dewey, M.D., M.Ed., MACP. Center for Professional Health – Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2019©
Suggested Readings for Physicians and Scientists
- The Official U.S. Government Site for Medicate. (n.d.)
- U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA), and its partners (December 2014)
- AARP. Ten Retirement Planning Tips (February 2018)
- Kiplinger (2018). The Top 10 Pieces of Retirement Advice You Can Give Your Millennial. (Jamie Letcher, CRPC)
- NewRetirement (April 2018). Want to Have a Good Retirement? 50 Tips for a Healthy, Wealthy and Happy Retirement (Kathleen Coxwell)
- United States Department of Labor (September 2017). Women and Retirement Savings.
- Bankrate (August 2017). 10 best retirement steps to take right now. (Jill Cornfield)
- AARP (March 2018). 5 Things You SHOULD Know About Long-Term Care Insurance.
- Safranski, S. The New Retirement Realities for Physicians: Are you seeing it clearly? M.D. News Special Feature, AMA Insurance Agency, 2010; 2(1):1-4.
- Cogbill, TH. Retirement: An opportunity to revisit the “road not taken.” Bull Am Coll Surg, 2004; 89 (3):16-20.
- Manheimer, R. Creative Retirement: Beneficial for the Patient – What about the Doctor? NC Med J Sept/Oct, 2008; 69(5):406-07.
- Cronan, J. Retirement: It’s Not About the Finances! Am Coll Rad, 2009:6(4):242- 45.
- Bernstein, A. and Trauth, J. “Your Retirement, your way: why it takes more than money to live your dream.” New York: McGraw Hill, 2007.
- Cullinane, J. and Fitzgerald, C. “The New Retirement: The Ultimate Guide to the Rest of your Life.” 2nd ed. New York, Rodale; 2007.
- Sunderstrom, E., Burnham, R., and Burnham, M. “My Next Phase: the personality-based guide to your best retirement.” New York, Springboard; 2007.
- Blaiser, RB. The problem with the aging surgeon: When surgeon age becomes a surgical risk factor. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 2009; 467(2):402-11.
- Neely, JC. My Last Stitch. Bull Am Coll Surg, May 2006; 91(5):17-19.
- LaBauve, B.J. and C.R. Robinson, Adjusting to retirement: Considerations for counselors. Adultspan: Theory Research & Practice, 1999; 1(1):2.
- Goodman, J. and J.G. Pappas, Applying the Schlossberg 4s transition model to retired university faculty: Does it fit? Adultspan: Theory Research & Practice, 2000; 2(1):15.
- Schlossberg, N.K., et al., Counseling adults in transition: Linking practice with theory, second edition. The Gerontologist., 1997; 37(1):134.
- Transitioning into Retirement: Key Tips for the Physician and Scientist
- Center for Professional Health – Vanderbilt University Medical Center© 2018 22
- Firmin, MW and Craycraft, A. Life meanings for past and present: Case studies of four retired faculty. Educational Research Quarterly, 2009; 32(4):17-35.
- Chase, CI., Eklund, SJ., and Pearson, LM. Affective responses of faculty emeriti to retirement. Educational Gerontology, 2003; 29(6):521.
- Yale S, Jones M, Wesbrook SD, Talsness S, Mazza JJ. The Emeritus Clinical-Researcher Program WMJ. Jun 2011; 110(3):127-31.
- Sheila M. LoboPrabhu, M.D., Victor A. Molinari, Ph.D., ABPP, Joseph D. Hamilton, M.D., James W. Lomax, M.D. The Aging Physician with Cognitive Impairment: Approachesto Oversight, Prevention and Remediation Am J Geriatr Psychiatry June 2009; 17 (6): 445-454.
- Adler RG, Constantinou C. Knowing - or not knowing - when to stop: cognitive decline in ageing doctors. Med J Aust. Dec 2008; 189 (11-12):622-4.
- Spickard A. Jr, Gabbe SG, Christensen JF. Mid-career burnout in generalist and specialist physicians. JAMA. 2002 Sep 25; 288 (12):1447-50.
- Vaillant, George E. “Aging Well: Surprising Guideposts to a Happier Life from the Landmark Harvard Study of Adult Development” Little Brown, 2002.