Medical Student Perspectives: Tips for Applying to Internal Medicine Residency Programs.
The fourth year of medical school is quite an exciting time, but the residency application process can be daunting. Once you have decided to pursue internal medicine, it is time to do your research, begin selecting individual programs, and complete the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) application. The following timeline should keep you right on track throughout the process.
- Prepare your personal statement. This is one of the most difficult stages of the application process and time for editing is essential, so start early.
- Check the Fellowship and Residency Electronic Interactive Database (FREIDA) to view all accredited residency programs participating in the Match. You can search by specialty or location. This site will give you detailed information regarding each residency program, including the number of residents, call schedule, salary, number of recommendation letters required, and whether or not a Chairmanís letter is required.
- You can also visit ACPís Residency Database, to learn more about internal medicine residency programs in the U.S and Canada.
July 1, 2008
- MyERAS Web site opens to applicants. Your school will distribute a MyERAS token to you so that you may begin working on your application.
July through August
- Ask for letters of recommendation. Once you have asked someone to write a letter for you be sure to send him or her an up-to-date copy of your curriculum vitae, a copy of your personal statement, and a MyERAS cover letter.
July 15, 2008
- ERAS opens for students. Begin to download your application files.
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) electronic drafts are due.
- National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) registration opens. You must register and pay NRMP fees in order to submit a rank list in February. This fee is separate from the ERAS application fees.
September 1, 2008
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited programs can begin to download application files.
- Transmit your applications via ERAS to residency programs.
- MSPE letters are released to ACGME programs.
- At the end of November NRMP registration officially closes.
- Military Match results are released.
- Submit Rank Order List (ROL) via NRMP website.
- Osteopathic Match results are released.
- Allopathic Match results are released.
Visit http://www.aamc.org/students/eras/resources/start.htm, to download helpful resources. Resources include:
- ERAS 2008 Applicant Manual.
- MyERAS 2008 Application Worksheet.
- ERAS 2008 Residency Applicant Information Sheet.
- ERAS 2008 Residency Applicant Information Sheet for Osteopathic Applicants.
- A Guide to the Preparation of the Medical Student Performance Evaluation.
In addition to the plethora of resources available on the Web, there are many individuals who will be willing to help you during the residency application process. Meet with them and seek the advice of faculty and residents in your department of medicine to get information regarding specific programs. There is one last point I would like to share with you: no program is beyond your reach. Best of luck!
Council of Student Members Representative, Midwestern Region
University of Missouri, Columbia, Class of 2008
Students: Join ACP for Free
Benefits of Membership for Students: ACP's free Medical Student Membership includes benefits designed especially to meet students' needs.
Join Now: Sign-up today and begin enjoying the benefits of ACP Medical Student Membership.
Find a Residency
Search ACP's Internal Medicine Residency Database for information on all internal medicine residency programs in the U.S. and Canada. (ACP Members only)
Sign-up for Physician & Practice Timeline text alerts and never miss another regulatory deadline!
Triggered text alerts aimed at keeping you on top of upcoming deadlines and details related to regulatory, payment, and delivery system requirements are available FREE of charge!
Pre-order MKSAP17 Complete and Save 15%!
Enter priority code PR58 when ordering. Limited time only. Order now.