You are here
Learn More About MOC
Important details to make sure you fulfill ABIM MOC requirements.
ABIM Requirements at a Glance
1. Earn MOC Points:
- At least 1 activity between 1/1/2016 and 12/31/2017
- 100 points by 12/31/2018
- You can earn all points in Medical Knowledge, if you wish. You are no longer required to complete a Practice Improvement Module or earn any Practice Assessment points.
2. Pass the ABIM exam within 10 years of when you last passed the exam.
- When you take the MOC exam, you will earn 20 MOC points for your first exam attempt in each certification area. This means that if you take the exam between 2014 and 2018 you only need to earn 80 MOC points through other activities.
- Subspecialists: Keep in mind that the same MOC points can apply to each certificate you renew, so you only need 100 points no matter how many certificates you renew.
MOC Process Changes
ACP Advocates to Improve MOC Process
In 2015 ABIM announced changes to the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) process for board-certified internal medicine specialists and subspecialists. More details are available at the ABIM website.
Learn more about how ACP has been advocating to improve the MOC process.