|Summer 2013||Daniel B. Kimball, Jr., MD, FACP, Governor|
- Greetings From Your Governor
- Capitol Update by John Nikoloff
- Did You Know?
- Thank You Members!
- Congratulations Eastern Region New Fellows!
- ACP Leadership Day 2012
- Good News! TCMC Will Host 2012 Eastern Poster And Medical Jeopardy Competition in Scranton
- Einstein Medical Jeopardy Team Wins 2012 ACP National Tournament
- Congratulations Eastern Residents and Students! 16 Invited to Present Abstracts at ACP-IM 2012
- Einstein Medical Jeopardy Team Brings Home Coveted Osler Cup
- Welcome New Members!
- Pennsylvania Chapter Calendar of Events
Greetings From Your Governor
Dear ACP Colleagues,
I hope all of you are having a wonderful spring and are looking forward to a beautiful summer with family and friends. Our PA Eastern Chapter has had a wonderful beginning to 2013 and I am looking forward to an exciting conclusion to our year as well. We held Internal Medicine Interest Group Dinners at Penn State Hershey Medical School in January and at TCMC in Scranton in February. It is always refreshing to hear the enthusiasm of these young students of medicine as they pursue their training. TCMC will graduate its first graduating class this year! In February I also had the opportunity to visit St. Luke’s Medical Center in Bethlehem and recognize and honor Dr. Fabio Dorville with the presentation of our Clinical Practice Award. Dr. Dorville has been a longtime practitioner and faculty member associated with the internal medicine training program at St. Luke’s.
As you will note later in the newsletter, we had another successful Health Policy Symposium meeting in March at the Temple University School of Medicine in conjunction with Dr. Darilyn Moyer and the Southeast Chapter. We were pleased to have students from Penn State and Commonwealth join us for that meeting. Later that month we had another strong SEP/MOC program at Penn State Hershey under the direction of two outstanding faculty members, Dr. Marc Shalaby from the University of Pennsylvania and Dr. Ted Bollard from Penn State Hershey. These two superb teachers have supported this program for many years and always present an outstanding meeting and continuously get rave reviews. We are exploring the idea of providing a similar session in the Philadelphia area with the support of Dr. Moyer, the current Governor, and Dr. Greg Kane, the Governor-elect for the Southeast Chapter.
Internal Medicine 2013, held in San Francisco in early April, was a rousing success with over 8,000 (a record) physicians in attendance. The BOG meeting discussed many important issues including a new policy paper on “Team Based Care,” which is under study and development by the Health and Public Policy Committee. The scientific sessions were outstanding, as always.
At the annual meeting emphasis was given to the national ACP agenda including patient engagement, high value care, the transition from PIER to Smart Medicine™ later this year, assisting members with MOC issues, ACA implementation in individual states, and international chapter expansion.
I had the pleasure of visiting the Pinnacle Health System Internal Medicine Residency Program in April and talking about our ACP. The Pinnacle program has agreed to begin sponsorship of our Resident Abstract and Jeopardy program in 2014. We look forward to our 2013 program at The Commonwealth Medical College on 9 November and thank them for their support of this very worthwhile program for a second year.
We held an “FACP Orientation Dinner” in Plymouth Meeting in conjunction with the PA Southeast Chapter, to encourage eligible members to apply for Fellowship status. You will be hearing from the ACP national office this summer about the election for a new Governor for our region who will begin his or her service as Governor-elect in 2014 and Governor in 2015. We are blessed with many outstanding leaders in our chapter, and our nominating committee, under the leadership of Dr. Eileen Moser from Penn State Hershey, has recruited two outstanding candidates for this position.
Please be sure to vote when you are notified of the opportunity to do so. You have my profound thanks for what you do every day in providing care to our patients and their families. Please let me or John Derrickson know of any issues that you want us to discuss at the Governor’s Advisory Council, our Health and Public Policy Committee or at our BOG meeting this fall.
Dan Kimball, Governor, Eastern Region, PA-ACP
Have You Heard?
HIGHLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- Proposed CME rules changes: http://www.acponline.org/about_acp/chapters/pa/cms_rules.pdf
- RAC resolutions: http://www.acponline.org/about_acp/chapters/pa/rac_res.pdf
- The Eastern Region’s 2013 Poster Competition is November 9, 2013 Planning for the East’s annual abstract competition is underway. The annual poster and medical Jeopardy competition will again be held at The Commonwealth Medical College in Scranton. All residents and medical students who have provided the ACP with an e-mail address will receive information regarding the submission of abstracts and details regarding the poster and medical Jeopardy competitions. The Pennsylvania Chapter sponsors THREE regional abstract competitions offering residents and medical students an opportunity to compete with and meet their peers. In collaboration with program directors, an abstract on research, case study, or quality improvement based on their experience is submitted. The abstracts receive professional critiques and the best are selected to present a poster at the annual competition. Residents and students submitting abstracts must be members of the ACP.
- ACP’s Special Interest Groups – an online forum for members only provides members with a place to engage in discussions, share ideas, and support one another professionally and personally. Join as many groups as you would like, then connect with ACP members from all over the world. Join at www.acponline.org/sigs
- Because the SEP/MOC created record attendance this year, the Pennsylvania Chapter will sponsor TWO sessions during the coming year. The first will be held at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital on Feb. 1, 2014 and Hershey Medical Center will host the second on March 15, 2014. Details will be e-mailed to members.
- The national ACP has officially voted to change the name of the Council of Young Physicians to Early Career Physicians, which is defined as within 16 years graduation from medical school. Your council will continue its effort to enhance the professional development of early career physicians.
- There is no fee to become an ACP Medical Student Member. Join today
Capitol Update by John Nikoloff
June 2012 State Budget Update
The Governor and state legislative leaders worked out an on-time state budget of $27.67 billion dollars, more than $500 million above the figure originally proposed by Gov. Tom Corbett in February. Efforts by PA-ACP, other physician groups, pharmaceutical companies, state related universities and the Hospital and Health System Association of PA led to increases in several line items in the process.
As the House, Senate and Governor negotiated a final budget settlement, increased revenues in April and May became important to discussions. The House and Senate had already passed a $27.66 billion budget with significant increases for higher education, graduate medical education and various programs in the Departments of Health and Public Welfare. The Governor’s requests for several new pieces of legislation, including education and corrections reform and tax credits for businesses related to a proposed ethane cracker facility in Beaver County that is expected to create at least 10,000 jobs in southwestern PA became critical to getting the budget agreement.
The County Commissioners Association agreed to a 10% reduction in state level social services funding in return for flexibility to move the funds from one program to another, but some counties and bipartisan members of the House had opposed the block grant concept. And Democrats continue to argue that the state could afford to spend another $600 million above the agreed-to spend figure by increasing impact fees and avoiding reductions in business taxes, and are pushed for adding these funds to social and basic education funding.
The General Assembly put funding back into Penn State, Pitt and Temple to their 2011-2012 funding levels, and increased the MA budget for Academic Medical Centers by $1.262 million. Other increases were in health for line items for specific diseases including hemophilia, Lupus, Sickle Cell and Tourette’s, and DPW for MA Inpatient programs, MA Long Term Care, physician practice plans, and critical care hospitals.
Affordable Care Act
With the Supreme Court decision on the Affordable Care Act, Pennsylvania government will begin in earnest the processes of developing a state Health Insurance Exchange, and reviewing the state’s options under the federal Medical Assistance reimbursement guidelines. HIE’s will be the subject of hearings, stakeholder groups and legislation this fall. The MA program decisions may or may not require state action, depending on whether PA follows the MA 133% of poverty figure, or opts out of this federal requirement for funding.
Did You Know?
- The Pennsylvania Chapter was awarded a 2012 John Tooker Evergreen Award for joining forces with the Illinois chapter to develop a 10-part leadership development webinar series for members of both Chapters.
- Bob Doherty of The ACP Advocate Blog, can also be followed on Twitter @BobDohertyACP
- TCMC in Scranton will host the Eastern region’s 2012 Abstract and Medical Jeopardy Competitions for the first time. The event is set for Saturday, October 6, 2012.
- Jay Chintanaboina, MD, MPH, will serve as Abstract and Poster Chair and Pavan Irukulla, MD, will chair the Medical Jeopardy Competition.
- We invite anyone who can volunteer to be a reviewer or a judge to contact Dr. Jay Chintanaboina at email@example.com. The abstract competition offers the perfect opportunity to become involved in a very worthwhile event.
- We are pleased to announce that Richard J. Simons, MD, FACP (Past Governor, Eastern Region) has been awarded a Mastership, which was presented at Internal Medicine 2012 in New Orleans. Congratulations, Rich!
- Muhamad Aly Rifai, MD, FACP was presented with a LEAD certificate at Internal Medicine 2012.
- The ACP Medical Home Builder (MHB) tool provides affordable, accessible, online guidance to help identify opportunities for practice improvements and, if desired, prepare your practice for recognition as a Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH).
- Designed for all practices, ACP’s Medical Home Builder will help Improve office efficiency
- Increase patient satisfaction
- Optimize patient care
- Develop policies and procedures with downloadable forms
- Prepare for PCMH accreditation or recognition
- Click here for a link to the brochure mailed to ACP Members.
Thank You Members!
We wish to convey our sincere gratitude to all members who made an extra $15 contribution to the Chapter with your annual dues check.
These extra funds allow us to hold casual dinners with the Internal Medicine Interest Groups (IMIG) and to challenge the medical residents with poster competitions and Medical Jeopardy tournaments.
In addition, this year we invited 10 residents and medical students from all over Pennsylvanian to participate in the ACP’s annual Leadership Day. It is only through your support that we are able to offer educational and networking programs to our membership.
Congratulations Eastern Region New Fellows!
Pictured above the newest Fellows from PA’s Eastern Region as they prepare for the Convocation ceremony in New Orleans.
New Fellows and PA Chapter Council Members, Nicole Swallow, MD, FACP, East (L) and Susan Glennon, MD, FACP, Southeast (R) smile proudly following the Convocation ceremony.
Pennsylvania Eastern Region New Fellows
We recognize and congratulate all Eastern members who were elected to Fellowship in the College since January 1, 2012. Double Asterisk indicates they attended the ACP’s Convocation.
Ahmed Shahzad, MBBS, FACP, Chadds Ford **
Bilal Ayub, MBBS, FACP, Macungie
Brian J. Costello, DO, FACP, Breinigsville
Charles K. Agbemabiese, MBChB, FACP, Williamsport **
Frederick S. Fleszler, MD, FACP, Allentown **
Ghada Mitri Mitri, MD, FACP, Bethlehem **
Kenneth D. Goldblum, MD, FACP, Coatesville **
Matthew J. Novak, MD, FACP, Sayre
Michael G. Gilhooley, MD, FACP, Clarks Summit
Nasrollah Ghahramani, MD, FACP, Hershey **
Nita A. Rastogi, MBBS, FACP, Harrisburg **
Pavan K. Irukulla, MD, FACP, Scranton
Richard S. Lorraine, MD, FACP, Penllyn **
Wasique Mirza, MBBS, FACP, Clarks Summit **
ACP Leadership Day 2012
Congressman Mike Kelly (L) PA District 3 meets with Deepak Pahuja, MD, FACP from Erie and Danielle Krol, MD, Resident at Drexel in Philadelphia. Congressman Kelly shares concerns raised about underserved areas, especially in rural northwest PA, and the impact on Pennsylvanians’ health.
The 20th annual Leadership Day on Capitol Hill, held on June 6-7, 2012 in Washington, D.C, gave our 17 member Pennsylvania delegation the opportunity to create a strong presence on Capitol Hill.
We thank the following members for giving their time to visit 19 Congressional offices to share issues of critical concern with our Pennsylvania lawmakers.
PA-ACP 2012 Delegates
Aditya Sharma, Resident at Penn State/Hershey, Council member
Arnie Eiser, FACP, Chair of HPPC
Christine Bui, Student at PENN
Chuck Cutler, FACP; Past Governor, BOR Chair-elect
Danielle Krol, Resident at Drexel
Darilyn Moyer, FACP, Governor for PAS
David Rudnick, Student at PENN
Deepak Pahuja, FACP, Erie Activist
Evan Pollack, FACP, Vice Chair of HPPC
James Walter, Resident at Jefferson
Jenna Peart, Student at PENN
Kanchana Herath, Student at Penn State/Hershey, Council member
Kevin Berry, Student at Penn State/Hershey, Council member
Larry Jones, FACP, Council and HPPC member
Laura Hughes, Resident at WP/Allegheny
Preyanka Makadia, Student at PCOM, ACP's CSM
Robert (Egen) Atkinson, Student at PENN
One item of particular interest to the delegation was the newly introduced Schwartz-Heck Bill (HB5707) which addresses the flawed Medicare payment structure. The bipartisan measure would repeal Medicare’s current reimbursement formula and replace it with a new system of payment models. It would also give doctors small boosts in payment rates for four years. This link presents information about the Bill.
US Congresswoman Allyson Schwartz (right, above) is welcomed by Dr. Darilyn Moyer (center), Governor for the PA-ACP as Dr. Arnold Eiser, chair of Pennsylvania’s Health and Public Policy Committee, looks on.
Congresswoman Schwartz spoke to the 350 delegates attending the American College of Physicians’ 2012 Leadership Day in Washington. She recently introduced the Schwartz – Heck Bill, HR 5707, the Medicare Physician Payment Innovation Act of 2012. It would fix the broken Medicare payment structure.
Good News! TCMC Will Host 2012 Eastern Poster And Medical Jeopardy Competition in Scranton
This year, the Eastern Region’s Residents Day will be held at The Commonwealth Medical College in Scranton on October 6, 2012. Jaya Krishna Chintanaboina, MD will serve as overall Chair of Residents Day and will also Chair the Abstract Committee. Pavan Irukulla, MD, FACP will be this year’s Medical Jeopardy Chair. Residents who are members of the ACP in Eastern PA are invited to submit an abstract. E-mails announcing the competition were sent to all residents who provided the ACP with an e-mail address.
Last fall, 35 abstracts were selected for poster presentations and three for podium. Prizes were awarded to 13 poster presenters and the first author for each of the three first-place winning posters was invited to present his/her work at the ACP’s IM 2012 in New Orleans.
Residents Day is a challenging, fun and worthwhile experience that requires many volunteers. We are extremely grateful to Dr. Mark Shalaby who chaired the overall 2011 competition, Dr. Stacey Smith who chaired the abstract committee and Dr. Yehia Mishriki who chaired Medical Jeopardy. We extend a sincere thank you to them and to the many volunteer reviewers, judges and moderators involved in the event for their untiring work to make the day a success.
We invite you to join us on Saturday, October 6, 2012. The competition is open to all residents who are members of the ACP. We welcome abstract reviewers and poster judges willing to volunteer a few hours to help create a fabulous Residents Day for the Eastern Region.
Einstein Medical Jeopardy Team Wins 2012 ACP National Tournament
Pictured above (L to R), are Dr. Riyaj Kasekar, coach, Dr. Praveen Ramakrishnan, Dr. Guillermo Garrido and Dr. Jedrzej Wykretowicz. Not pictured are Dr. Mahasweta Gooptu, alternate and Dr. Steve Sivak, Chairman of the Department of Medicine. Both were valuable cheerleaders for the phenomenal team during the three day competition. This was Einstein’s third national win!
Albert Einstein Medical Center’s winning Medical Jeopardy Team celebrates victory over 31 other teams from throughout the US. Teams competed in the American College of Physicians’ Medical Jeopardy tournament, held at the ACP’s national scientific meeting in New Orleans April 19-21, 2012.
Congratulations Eastern Residents and Students! 16 Invited to Present Abstracts at ACP-IM 2012
John Madison (L) and Matthew Mullin (R) waiting for the judging at ACP’s national abstract competition in New Orleans.
We are honored that 14 residents and two medical students from the Eastern region represented Pennsylvania in the Associate and Medical Student Abstract Competition during Internal Medicine 2012 in New Orleans. An asterisk indicates those who presented in the Pennsylvania Chapter - Eastern Region 2011 poster competition
|Aurangzeb Baber, MD||Clinical Vignette|
|Dhavalkumar P. Sureja, MBBS||Clinical Vignette – Oral Presenter|
|Haseeb A. Kazi, MD *||Clinical Vignette|
|Jayaram R. Thimmapuram, MBBS||Clinical Vignette|
|Jincy Clement, MD||Clinical Vignette|
|Joy L. Montes, MD *||Clinical Research|
|Julian Manuel Diaz Fraga *||Quality Improvement – Patient Safety|
|Keyur K. Mavani, MBBS||Quality Improvement – Patient Safety|
|Leena Jalota, MBBS *||Clinical Research|
|Mark Schneider, Med Student||Clinical Research|
|Matthew G. Mullen, Med Student||Clinical Research|
|Nimesh K. Patel, MD||Clinical Research – Oral Presenter|
|Sara Hanna, MBBCH *||Clinical Vignette|
|Shamsuddin Shaik, MBBS||Clinical Vignette|
|Swapna Reddy Bemalgi, MD||Clinical Vignette|
|Zakiya V. Douglas, MD||Clinical Vignette|
Einstein Medical Jeopardy Team Brings Home Coveted Osler Cup
Pictured, from left: Dr. Steve Sivak, Chairman of Medicine at AEMC, Dr. Steve Weinberger, EVP and CEO for the American College of Physicians (ACP), Dr. Patrick Alguire, SVP for the ACP, team members Dr. Guillermo Garrido, Dr. Jedrzej Wykretowicz and Dr. Praveen Ramakrishnan, Dr. Riyaj Kasekar, team coach and Dr. Glenn Eiger, Associate Chairman of Medicine and Program Director. Missing from photo is Dr. Mahasweta Gooptu, alternate and the team’s biggest cheerleader.
The formal presentation of the Osler Cup (named in honor of Sir William Osler, 1849-1919, and known as “The Father of Internal Medicine”) to the Medical Jeopardy team from Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia was held June 12. This was the third national win for Einstein. They also brought home the Osler in 1998 and 2007. Will we see them in San Francisco in 2013? Will it be the 4th Einstein win? Stay tuned!
Welcome New Members!
12 physicians from the Eastern Region were elected to ACP membership since January 2012. We hope that you will join us at our various events and educational programs. We look forward to meeting you!
Daniel Silverstein, MD, Richboro
Ewa Wierzba, MD, Stroudsburg
Gemma G. Rozmus, MD, Berwyn
Hassan S. Sheikh, MD, Harrisburg
Imhotep Boukman, MD, Brookhaven
James E. Phillips, DO, Center Valley
Jon Walheim, MD, Doylestown
Kara B Mascitti, MD, Hellertown
Kirankumar J. Viramgama, MD, Gettysburg
Martin B. Van Dort, MD, Williamsport
Najma Khanani, MD, Allentown
Ruchi Dash, MD, Hummelstown
ACP’s new membership year begins July 1st. Please remember to renew your membership.
We need YOUR support!
Pennsylvania Chapter Calendar of Events
July 2012 – December 2012
|June 19-20||Pri-Med Access with ACP||Philadelphia|
|Sept. 8||PA Council Meeting||Harrisburg|
|Sept. 19-20||Pri-Med Access with ACP||Pittsburgh|
|Sept. 20-21||Board of Governors||Vancouver|
|Oct. 6||Eastern Poster Competition||TCMC, Scranton|
|Nov. 3||PA West Poster Competition||West Penn, Pittsburgh|
|Nov. 10||Southeast Poster Competition||Lankenau, Wynnwood|
|Dec. 1||Council Meeting||Hershey|
|Dec. 1||State Medical Jeopardy||Hershey|
|Dec. 1||Chapter Awards Dinner||Hershey|
|Fall 2012||IMIG Student Dinner Series||TBA|
|Fall 2012||YP and Hospitalists Dinner Series||TBA|
|March 2013||SEP/MOC Program||Hershey|
- PA Southeastern Region Governor's Newsletter - June 2015
- PA Eastern Region Governor's Newsletter - June 2015
- PA Western Region Governor's Newsletter - June 2015
- Pennsylvania Chapter Wins 2015 John Tooker Evergreen Award
- We are proud to announce that Charles Cutler, MD, MACP was awarded the Chapter Centennial Legacy Award.
- Pennsylvania Western Region - Meet Our Governor-elect, Thomas C. Grau, MD, FACP
- Member Feedback - Share Your Thoughts
- Member Accomplishments
- Internist Weekly