You are here
ACP Internal Medicine Meeting 2022 Is Just Around the Corner
Spring is on the way. After hibernating during the northeastern winter, I am excited to celebrate spring. For me, springtime brings a focus on rejuvenation and reunions with family and friends. And, on this list is the ACP Internal Medicine Meeting. I choose Internal Medicine Meeting 2022 because it helps me to replenish, rejuvenate, and reconnect the many aspects of my internist soul all while earning a boat load of CME/MOC. This year, you have the option to attend in person in Chicago or participate in more than 100 livestreamed sessions virtually in your comfy clothes. Whether you are a newbie or an expert, there is a seat for everyone at Internal Medicine Meeting 2022.
I've highlighted my favorite sessions below and included some tips on making the most of the meeting. I hope to see you there.
My Favorite Meeting Features
Clinical Skills Center. Is there a clinical skill or maneuver you would love to become proficient in? The Clinical Skills Center allows clinicians to explore a variety of hands-on common procedures, refine interpretive skills, and update physical examination skills in small group sessions.
Annals Story Slam. What do you get when you cross Chicken Soup for the Soul with internists? You get ACP Annals Story Slam. Here, internists boldly step up to the microphone to share original stories that fit within the prechosen theme. While speaking into the microphone might not be your cup of tea, you can certainly participate as an audience member and sip a real cup of tea all while being re-energized by our colleagues' journeys in medicine.
Clinical Triad Sessions. These sessions bring together topics and themes into a single didactic. The speakers tend to engage with the audiences quite a bit. You walk away with pearls of each topic or theme, making this one of the best ways to review major clinical updates in a brief time.
Legislative Updates. There is a lot happening in Washington, DC, legislative sessions, and it is helpful to learn from the experts. These sessions are presented by the expert ACP public policy “gurus,” making this session a must see.
ACP Highlights Session. This is by far one of my favorite events. The speakers are tasked with attending the entire Internal Medicine Meeting and choosing the high-yield, high-value takeaways from the numerous sessions. It is a great wrap-up of the meeting and helps me identify topics that I missed so that I can go back and review the recordings and handouts.
Keynote Speeches. Last year, we had Dr. Rana Awdish, Dr. Anthony Fauci, and Dr. Kimberly Manning reflect on the stories of internists and patients worldwide. We learned, laughed, and shared moments of awe as we acknowledged the efforts and courage of internists and the global community. This year's opening ceremony keynote speaker is Dr. Quinn Capers, who will present his reflections on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will also host a fireside chat during the Saturday morning plenary session with Dr. Mukta Panda and Dr. Tammy Lin to discuss physician well-being.
Seeing My Favorite People. The Internal Medicine Meeting allows me to catch up with my colleagues and mentors. The past few years have reinforced the importance of community, and there is no better place to find that community than at Internal Medicine Meeting 2022.
ECP Networking Luncheon. The luncheon is another don't miss event. Come to this session to get an update on what the national CECP has been up to and network with fellow ECPs from across the country. We love to welcome familiar and new members.
Tips on Making the Most of Internal Medicine Meeting 2022
- Early bird gets the best worm! Register by February 28 for discounted pricing. Book your hotel early. Block your calendar early.
- Review the pre-courses. Are there any skills or practical aspects of internal medicine that would be particularly helpful for you to learn?
- Download the meeting app. The meeting app will be available 3 to 4 weeks before the start of the Internal Medicine Meeting. Whether you are attending in person or accessing the livestream sessions, be sure to check the meeting app before April 28 and plan to attend the events of most interest to you.
- Review the schedule of sessions in the meeting app. Many sessions are repeated, whereas others are not. Most sessions have handouts available before the session. Virtual sessions and recordings will be made available after the meeting. Make note of sessions that you do not see repeated and don't want to miss.
- Identify the topics in which you are interested. With the meeting app, you can search for topics relevant to hospitalists, primary care physicians, residents/fellows, medical students, and early career physicians.
- Access your handouts and video recordings beyond the meeting. This nifty feature has been key in helping me share my own learning with colleagues at home. I still refer to some of the handouts for key images, charts, illustrations, and inspiration.
- Preserve time for catching up with friends or making new friends. Like I said before, having catch-up sessions with friends and mentors is a highlight for me. You can find me wandering into the Posters Hospitality area to chat with colleagues.
- Take a few moments to create your Internal Medicine Meeting 2022 overall schedule. This should include your choices of events, workshops, pre-courses, courses, luncheons, and receptions. Having them in one place is the key to success.
- Finally, take a selfie. Post it on social media and be sure to tag @ACPInternists, #IMProud, #IM2022. Remember, we are a community beyond this meeting!
Please visit the Internal Medicine Meeting 2022, Mastering Medicine Together, website for more information.
Ankita Sagar MD, MPH, FACP