You are here
2018 Medical Students Steps to Success Meeting Recap
For the third year, the Student Steps to Success program was held at MedStar Harbor Hospital center on Saturday, March 31. It was once again very successful, even wit the being a holiday weekend.
This is a joint effort for the ACP Maryland and Armed Forces Chapters members. The day included:
- An Iron Med Competition hosted by our Armed Forces group under the care of Drs. Jeff Gray and Alison Lane.
- Poster competition that included 20 Clinical Vignette and Research Abstracts with the following judges: Dobbin Chow, MD, MACP (Midtown), Mangla Gulati, MD, FACP, Phil Dittmar, MD, FACP and Janaki Deepak, MBBS, FACP (UMMS/VA), and Richard Williams, MD, FACP (MedStar HHC).
- Student Dilemma hosted by Dr. Janaki Deepak, our DD advisor, as well as CRAB members Brittany Duchene, MD (MedStar HHC), Jon Gray, MD (Midtown), Ramen Jabaji, MD (MHIM), Max Puliaiev, MD (Sinai), and Shwe Win, MBBS (MedStart HHC).
- A presentation on How to be a Good Resident by Dr. Ramen Jabaji.
- Workshops on the March (Drs. Phil Dittmar, UMMS/VA; Vigay Rajpat, Ross; Jeff Gray and Alison Lane, Armed Forces).
- Workshop on reading x-rays by Dr. Deepak and EKGs by Dr. Brent Petty (Johns Hopkins/Broadway).
- A simulation lab and a group of physicians and technicians, including Robert Marcus, MD, FACP, who spent four hours showing students several techniques that they will use as their medical training continues.
Dr. Richard Williams and his assistant, Terry Kus, ensured that the entire program ran smoothly, and we cannot thank them enough for their efforts.
We would also like to share the names of the winners of the the competitions:
1st Place - Alissa Ali, MedStar Harbor
2nd Place - Jonathan Na, UMMS/VA
1st Place - Jennifer Woodard, UMMS/VA
2nd Place - Joshua Yang, Hopkins
1st Place - Lucy Ma, USUHS
2nd Place - Nick Michael, USUHS
1st Place - MedStar HHC
2nd Place - UMMS/Midtown
3rd Place - St. Agnes
Student Passport Winner: Jennifer Woodard, UMMS/VA
This is a new contest where students who attend ACP Maryland Chapter activities are entered into a drawing that includes $1,000 to attend the national ACP Internal Medicine Meeting being held in New Orleans.)
Please be sure to congratulate our student winners, and enjoy photos from the event!
Stephen D. Sisson, MD, FACP
Governor, ACP Maryland Chapter