You are here
British Columbia Governor's Newsletter December 2018
In this Issue:
- Governor's Message: Dr. Michael R. Kenyon, MBBCh, Dip.Av.Med, FCP(SA), FRCPC (GIM-Founder), FACP
- WHY SHOULD I JOIN THE ACP?
- BECOME AN FACP TODAY!
- WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS!
- ACP AS ADVOCATE
- CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- CLINICAL DECISION RESOURCE FOR THE BUSY CLINICIAN
Michael R. Kenyon, MBBCh, FRCPC, FACP, Governor
Governor's Message: Dr. Michael R. Kenyon, MBBCh, Dip.Av.Med, FCP(SA), FRCPC (GIM-Founder), FACP
Thank you to all members and volunteers for your ongoing support and contributions. I encourage you to maintain your support of the ACP and become more active in our chapter. Please email me to discuss ways you can be involved firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our chapter has had a busy and productive 2018:
- October 12-15, 2018: The CSIM/ACP Western Canada Chapters/Rocky Mountain Annual Meeting was well-attended by our BC Chapter members and was strongly represented by workshop speakers. The six Canadian Chapters hosted a Canadian Doctor's Dilemma® competition, and BC had two teams compete.
- October 11, 2018: We held the 11th Annual UBC Resident, Fellow and Early Career Physicians ACP Rocky Mountain Dinner. Our family is growing – there were 28 attendees this year! I host this personally each year, and it gives me great pleasure to do this in my capacity as BC Chapter Governor this year.
- September 25, 2018 : We were thrilled to have Dr. Nestor Sosa, Governor, ACP Central America Chapter, present to us on <<Emergent Arboviral Diseases in the Americas>> during our 2018 AGM & Dinner at the University Golf Club in Vancouver. We were honored to have the President of the BCSIM, Dr. Shavinder Gill (a long-standing, enthusiastic ACP BC Chapter member and supporter) address the Chapter regarding future collaboration and synergy with BCSIM. Thank you to Dr. Stephane Voyer and Ms. Andrea Toker for their support and organization for this and many other events this year.
- July 5, 2018: My ICU group held an ACP–sponsored Critical Care Skills Boot Camp for UBC GIM Fellows. It was well received, and we have been asked to extend it next year.
- April 20, 2018: we co-hosted the Canadian Chapters Reception in New Orleans.
- March 7, 2018: The Inaugural Meeting of the ACP IMP Student IM Club was held at the UBC/Island Medical Program's University of Victoria campus. This included dinner and a career discussion with an excellent panel. The club is having its 2nd meeting and running a medical jeopardy competition in January 2019. Thanks to Ms. Sarah Gibbs for her energy and organizational skills!
I am proud to announce that our Chapter has once again received an ACP Chapter Excellence Award! .
It is with great pleasure that I announce our chapter's governor-elect, Aman Nijjar,MD, MPH, FACP, who will be commencing her term in April 2020. Congratulations! Dr. Nijjar epitomises the re-invigoration of our Chapter and the growing body of early career members that bring energy and enthusiasm to our current and future endeavours. My thanks to Dr. Barry Kassen for his unstinting support and for chairing the BC Chapter Nominations Committee.
WHY SHOULD I JOIN THE ACP?
Here are my top three reasons:
i.) The ACP is a particularly strong educational organization and MKSAP 18, recently released, is a powerful example of this. Save 10% on MKSAP18 Complete, Digital or Print when you order by January 31, 2019; use code MKSAP18STAR. For a range of ACP educational activities, visit their online learning center.
ii.) Annals of Internal Medicine is FREE with your membership and is one of the most widely cited and influential specialty medical journals in the world. The journal publishes a wide variety of original research, review articles, practice guidelines and commentary relevant to clinical practice, health care delivery, public health, health care policy, medical education, ethics, and research methodology. In addition (and this is one of my favorite features), the journal publishes personal narratives that convey the feeling and the art of medicine. Selected articles in the journal are open access (another plus) and this includes patient-oriented content and clinical guidelines (and related reviews).
iii.) The ACP has done an outstanding job of providing many of their resources electronically. The MyACP app is a great gateway, and I am impressed with how well MKSAP seamlessly synchronises across multiple devices for those of us on the move.
MyACP is a personalized web experience making it easier for members to access content and resources while logged into www.acponline.org/myacp. To download the MyACP app on your iPhone, click here; Android users, please click here.
2. PEER RECOGNITION
Through Fellowship (see below) and beyond to Mastership.
3. INTERNATIONAL COLLEGIAL CONNECTIVITY AND COMMUNICATION AND FROM THAT BASE OF STRENGTH, ADVOCACY
ACP has 154, 000 members in 145 different countries. It is very much the professional home of internal medicine. Each Canadian chapter has the same vote as a US Chapter when it comes to advocacy. The ACP has been an active and professional voice of reason in dealing with the political climate that our neighbors are currently experiencing. The ACP has a very effective lobbying strategy and seems to almost always land on the same side of an issue that we would choose in Canada. Our votes are influential, and the ACP values our input and treats us very fairly. Now is the time to support our US colleagues.
I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
I awoke and saw that life was service.
I acted and behold, service was joy.
(Courtesy of Dr. Sanjiv Chopra, MD, MACP, Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School) [Excerpt from his talk “Dharma, Happiness & Living With Purpose” during the Board of Governors meeting in Seattle September 2018).
We hope to see you April 11-13, 2019 at the ACP Internal Medicine Meeting in Philadelphia! The Canadian Chapters will again be hosting a reception during this time.
Until then, wishing you all the best for the holidays and the New Year!
BECOME AN FACP TODAY!
Becoming an FACP ® is a distinction earned from colleagues who recognize your accomplishments and achievements in medicine. Think of deserving Chapter Members for advancement to Fellowship and Mastership and nominate them! There are several pathways to Fellowship and the application process is simple. You may also contact me directly at email@example.com.
WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS!
Bikaramjit Singh Mann
Dou-Anne N Siew, MBBS
Arina Garg, MD
Jesse Bittman, MD
Farhad Nassiri Afshar, MD
Mohammad Bardi, MD
Paxton J Bach, MD
Andrew W.P. Hurlburt, MD
Paria Pourmalek, MD
Michael S Jansz, MD
Andrew Devlin Wilson, MD
Daniel Roux, MBChB
Alan Stewart, MD
Genevieve Gabra, MD
Khalid Bashir, MD FACP
Jusung Hwang, MD
John Koo, MD
Nawal Alotaibi, BMBch
Miles Marchand, MD
Jonathan Williams, MD
Omri Arbiv, MD
ACP AS ADVOCATE
Did you know that the ACP is highly involved in advocacy? Keep up to date with the ACP Advocate Newsletter.
There are many resolutions brought forth for consideration by the Board of Governors. I encourage members to visit https://www.acponline.org/advocacy and send me your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Canadian Governors have the opportunity to discuss and vote on resolutions and policy during annual meetings of the Board of Governors.
Visit the Advocacy in Action page for a list of resources and events to help educate and promote action by US policy makers, legislators and others on issues of importance to internists and their patients.
One such resource is the Climate Change Toolkit – a resource to help reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions in your practice –click to learn more.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
ACP Internal Medicine Meeting 2019
April 11-13, 2019 Philadelphia, PA
Canadian Reception – plan to attend Friday, April 12, 2019 (venue TBA)
ACP Quebec Chapter and ASMIQ Meeting / Inter-University Day
May 24-25, 2019
ACP Quebec Chapter Meeting and ASMIQ 21st Annual Meeting
In collaboration with the ACP Hawaii Chapter
June 26-28, 2019
The ACP Atlantic Provinces Chapters Annual Meeting 2019 will be held during the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Internal Medicine
October 2-5, 2019
Click for information
ACP Western Canada Chapters and Rocky Mountain GIM Annual Meeting
November 14-16, 2019
ACP Ontario Chapter Annual Meeting 2019
Watch for the Call for Abstracts and program in the spring.
CLINICAL DECISION RESOURCE FOR THE BUSY CLINICIAN
DynaMed Plus® focuses on providing a comprehensive clinical decision resource to deliver quick results. Content is written by a world-class team of physicians who synthesize the evidence and provide objective analysis. DynaMed Plus® provides:
- Concise, accurate summaries for common conditions
- Evidence-based recommendations for patient care.
- Daily updates
- A free Mobile App
- An Image and Calculator filter to further customize search results
- A Micromedex® Clinical Knowledge Suite
ACP and EBSCO Health are collaborating to provide ACP members with free access until December 31, 2018. Click here to start benefiting from DynaMed Plus®
Share your good news or that of a colleague and we will post it in our Chapter newsletter.
Follow the ACP Canadian Chapters on Twitter! @ACPCanadian