You are here
ACP has international chapters in Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, Caribbean, Central America, Chile, Gulf, India, Japan, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Southeast Asia, Colombia, and Venezuela.
Our diverse international membership extends across the globe.
Establishing an ACP International Chapter
As of June 30, 2016, over 14,000 ACP members reside in 145 countries outside the United States, representing 9.6% of ACP's total membership of 148,000. For many years, ACP international chapters have helped the College achieve its mission, i.e., to enhance the quality and effectiveness of health care by fostering excellence and professionalism in the practice of medicine.
Many international ACP members have expressed interest in forming an ACP chapter. Most chapters are created in collaboration with local internal medicine societies. New chapters do not have to be limited to a single country. Rather, they can also include multi-country chapters as long as an acceptable plan is submitted by local Internal Medicine leaders to share leadership responsibilities, host chapter meetings and carry out their ACP duties in a collaborative way.
- A chapter may be established with a minimum of 100 dues-paid Members, Fellows, and Masters.
- A Steering Committee must be established with ACP Fellows who broadly represent various internal medicine groups such as the local internal medicine society, medical schools, and medical training programs.
- The Steering Committee must provide a letter of intent to form a chapter and submit it to ACP Headquarters, attention: Wendy Rivera-Craig at email@example.com. The letter must describe the quality of education and training in the country and confirm that there is a pool of internists and potential ACP members in the prospective chapter for future growth.
- Several ACP oversight committees as well as ACP's Board of Regents must approve the request to form a chapter.
- The Steering Committee must be prepared to recommend an Interim Governor subject to ACP's approval, who would temporarily lead the chapter. Once the chapter has 200 dues-paid Masters, Fellows, and Members, ACP will hold a Governor's election.
To verify the current number of eligible members needed to establish a chapter in your country or for additional chapter inquiries, please contact:
Senior Administrator and Chapter Liaison, International Programs
ACP International Member Recruitment Toolkit
Thank you for your interest in recruiting new members to join ACP! We greatly appreciate your support of ACP and your efforts to increase membership. If you have colleagues that you believe would benefit from the College's exceptional educational and clinical resources, we hope that you will talk to them about your membership experience and encourage them to join ACP today.
In appreciation, ACP will provide you with a credit on your membership dues through the Recruit-a-Colleague Program. Simply ask your colleague to include your name in the recruiter field before submitting an application.
More information about recruitment and resources to assist you in your recruitment efforts can be found in this section.
Sample E-mail to send to potential new members of ACP
- International Membership Application (Recruit-a-Colleague)
- International Physician Affiliate Application (Recruit-a-Colleague)
ACP Membership Marketing Materials
- ACP Membership Slide Set
- ACP Membership Flyer (English version)
- ACP Membership Flyer (Spanish version)
- Recruit-a-Colleague Flyer (English version)
- International Membership
- Recruit-a-Colleague International
- Member Benefits for International Physicians