2012 PQRS Program Reminder
The 2012 PQRS has two reporting periods:
- 12-months (January 1-December 31, 2012); and
- 6-months (July 1-December 31, 2012)
PQRS Reporting Options
You can use one of the following options to report PQRS data for services furnished January 1 – December 31, 2012:
- EHR-based reporting (Direct EHR or Data Submission Vendor) of at least three PQRS measures for 80% or more of the applicable Medicare Part B FFs patients
- EHR-based reporting (Alignment with Medicare EHR Incentive Program) of all three Medicare EHR Incentive Program core measures OR up to three Medicare EHR Incentive Program alternate core measures AND 3 additional measures for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program
- Registry-based reporting of at least three PQRS measures for 80% or more of the applicable Medicare Part B FFS patients
- Registry-based reporting of at least one measures group for 30 or more applicable Medicare Part B FFS patients
- Registry-based reporting of at least one measures group for 80% or more of applicable Medicare Part B FFS patients (with a minimum of 15 patients)
- Claims-based reporting of at least one measures group for 30 or more applicable Medicare Part B FFS patients
To report PQRS data for services furnished July 1-December 31, 2012 use the following option:
- Registry-based reporting of one measures group for 80% or more of applicable Medicare Part B FFS patients (with a minimum of 8 patients)
How to Participate
Eligible professionals do not need to sign up or pre-register to participate in the 2012 PQRS. Submission of the appropriate quality data codes (QDCs) for individual PQRS measures or for a measures group to CMS on Part B claims will indicate intent to participate. Eligible professionals who intend to participate via registry or EHR mechanisms should work with their registry or EHR vendor on transmitting their 2012 PQRS measure data to CMS in early 2013.
Although there is no requirement to register prior to submitting the data, there are some preparatory steps that eligible professionals should take prior to undertaking PQRS reporting. CMS has created many educational products that provide information about how to get started with PQRS reporting.
To access all available educational resources on PQRS please visit, the CMS website. Eligible professionals are encouraged to visit the PQRS webpage often for the latest information and downloads on PQRS.
2012 Ends Incentive Payments
Eligible professionals also should note that 2012 is the last reporting year tied exclusively to an incentive payment. Beginning in 2015, CMS will apply a negative payment adjustment to eligible professionals who do not satisfactorily report data on quality measures for covered professional services.
Reporting during the 2013 PQRS program year will be used to determine whether a PQRS payment adjustment applies in 2015. The proposed criteria for satisfactorily reporting data on quality measures to avoid the 2015 PQRS payment adjustment is detailed in the 2013 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule, which was published on July 30, 2012.
Multimedia Learning Resources
Earn CME Credits
Earn CME Credits through attending live meetings, working online, or watching course recordings on your own schedule.
Earn MOC Points for Medical Knowledge
ACP offers its members many ways to earn ABIM MOC points for Medical Knowledge and to make the process easier. See our MOC Timeline Page for details.
Ceramic Bistro-Style ACP Mug
Enjoy your morning brew and show your ACP spirit with our 15-ounce dishwasher- and microwave-safe mug. Enjoy free shipping within the continental U.S.