Medicare's Value-Based Payment Program
The Value-Based Payment (VBP) program is intended to provide comparative performance information to physicians as part of Medicare’s efforts to improve the quality and efficiency of clinical care. This will be achieved by providing meaningful and actionable information to physicians so they can improve the care they furnish, and by moving toward physician reimbursement that rewards value rather than volume.
The program contains two primary components:
- Quality and Resource Use Reports (QRURs, also known as Physician Feedback Reports)
- Development and implementation of the value-based payment modifier (VBPM).
The ACA directs The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to provide information to physicians and medical practice groups about their resource use and quality of care provided to their Medicare patients, including quantification and comparisons of patterns of resource use/cost among physicians and medical practice groups.
The ACA mandates that CMS begin applying a value-based payment modifier under the physician fee schedule by 2015. In addition, this program must be implemented in a budget neutral manner.
More information on the Value-Based Payment Program:
- ACP Summary of the VBP program from the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule 2014 – Final Rule
- General Overview of the 2016 (performance year 2014) CMS Value-Based Payment Program Presentation
- CMS on the Value-Based Purchasing Program finalized in the 2013 Physician Fee Schedule
- Linking Performance With Payment - Implementing the Physician Value-Based Payment Modifier. Article from the Journal of the American Medical Association
- ACP Internist Article Value-based payments a new source of reimbursement, penalties March 2013
- Medicare Learning Network - National Provider Calls
- CMS Finalized Policies for the Physician Value-Based Payment Modifier under the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule 2014 Final Rule (December 3, 2013)
- 2012 Quality and Resource Use Reports Overview and December Addendum (January 16, 2014)
- General Overview of the 2015 CMS Value-Based Payment Program Video (8:52)
- CMS 2014 Value Modifier Presentation (January 14, 2014)
- The CMS Value-Based Payment Modifier: What Medicare Eligible Professionals Need to Know in 2014
Multimedia Learning Resources
Earn CME Credits
Earn CME Credits through attending live meetings, working online, or watching course recordings on your own schedule.
MKSAP 16 Holiday Special: Save 10%
Use MKSAP 16® to earn MOC points, prepare for ABIM exams and assess your clinical knowledge. For a limited time save 10% when you use priority code MKPROMO! Order now.
Maintenance of Certification:
What if I Still Don't Know Where to Start?
Because the rules are complex and may apply differently depending on when you last certified, ACP has developed a MOC Navigator. This FREE tool can help you understand the impact of MOC, review requirements, guide you in selecting ways to meet the requirements, show you how to enroll, and more. Start navigating now.