On April 1, 2014, President Obama signed the Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014 (HR 4302), which among other things, extended the deadline for ICD-10 by one year to October 1, 2015. In addition, on May 1, 2014, CMS announced that, accordingly, October 1, 2015, will be the new compliance date that will require the use of ICD-10. Furthermore, all HIPAA covered entities must continue to use ICD-9 through September 30, 2015. ACP has many free and discounted resources for understanding, training for, and implementing ICD-10. As we get more information about how this will play out, we will post it here: ICD-10.
- Coding 201 Video (14:27): This recording provides an overview of code development and the CPT and RUC process.
- Medically Unlikely and Correct Coding Initiative Edits
- 2013 Changes in Application of Medically Unlikely Edits
- Coding 101 - Web-Based Coding Curriculum
Coding 101 is an eight module web-based curriculum designed for internal medicine residents and other clinical learners including established internists in need of review, other medical specialties, and practice personnel who need to understand coding.
- Transitional Care Management (TCM) Codes
- Transitional Care Management Coding Video (8:00): This recording provides background information on these new codes and tips on how to successfully bill for this code.
- TCM Code Denials
- Coding and Billing for Internists' Services: Challenges and Opportunities
Tools and Forms
Coding Assessment Tool (login required)
Coding for Internists: The Basics (login required)
Medicare Web Based Education Tools
CMS has made available free Web-based Training (WBT) Courses that allow physicians to view and enroll online.
- Report insurer problems using the Health Plan Complaint Form
- Where We Stand: Medicare Issues and Health Plan Insurance Regulations
Frequently Asked Questions
Review billing and coding issues that are important to internists.
Multimedia Learning Resources
Earn CME Credits
Earn CME Credits through attending live meetings, working online, or watching course recordings on your own schedule.
MKSAP 16 Holiday Special: Save 10%
Use MKSAP 16® to earn MOC points, prepare for ABIM exams and assess your clinical knowledge. For a limited time save 10% when you use priority code MKPROMO! Order now.
Maintenance of Certification:
What if I Still Don't Know Where to Start?
Because the rules are complex and may apply differently depending on when you last certified, ACP has developed a MOC Navigator. This FREE tool can help you understand the impact of MOC, review requirements, guide you in selecting ways to meet the requirements, show you how to enroll, and more. Start navigating now.