On April 1, 2014, President Obama signed the Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014 (HR 4302), which among other things, extended the deadline for ICD-10 by one year to October 1, 2015. In addition, on May 1, 2014, CMS announced that, accordingly, October 1, 2015, will be the new compliance date that will require the use of ICD-10. Furthermore, all HIPAA covered entities must continue to use ICD-9 through September 30, 2015. ACP has many free and discounted resources for understanding, training for, and implementing ICD-10. As we get more information about how this will play out, we will post it here: ICD-10.
- Coding 201 Video (14:27): This recording provides an overview of code development and the CPT and RUC process.
- Medically Unlikely and Correct Coding Initiative Edits
- 2013 Changes in Application of Medically Unlikely Edits
- Coding 101 - Web-Based Coding Curriculum
Coding 101 is an eight module web-based curriculum designed for internal medicine residents and other clinical learners including established internists in need of review, other medical specialties, and practice personnel who need to understand coding.
- Transitional Care Management (TCM) Codes
- Transitional Care Management Coding Video (8:00): This recording provides background information on these new codes and tips on how to successfully bill for this code.
- TCM Code Denials
- Coding and Billing for Internists' Services: Challenges and Opportunities
Tools and Forms
Coding Assessment Tool (login required)
Coding for Internists: The Basics (login required)
Medicare Web Based Education Tools
CMS has made available free Web-based Training (WBT) Courses that allow physicians to view and enroll online.
- Report insurer problems using the Health Plan Complaint Form
- Where We Stand: Medicare Issues and Health Plan Insurance Regulations
Frequently Asked Questions
Review billing and coding issues that are important to internists.
Multimedia Learning Resources
Earn CME Credits
Earn CME Credits through attending live meetings, working online, or watching course recordings on your own schedule.
What will you learn from your Annals Virtual Patient?
Annals Virtual Patients is a unique patient care simulator that mirrors real patient care decisions and consequences. CME Credit and MOC Points are available. Start off with a FREE sample case. Start your journey now.
Products and Resources for Patients
ACP has developed easy- to-use materials designed to help educate your patients on self-management of a wide variety of common health conditions. Order yours today!