All practices and facilities will have to adopt the ICD-10 code set by October 1, 2014. There is time to meet that deadline, even if you have not yet begun your transition planning. ACP has many resources for understanding, training for, and implementing ICD-10.
Several coding books have been reviewed and recommended by ACP. Member discounts available.
- Coding 201 Video (14:27): This recording provides an overview of code development and the CPT and RUC process.
- Medically Unlikely and Correct Coding Initiative Edits
- 2013 Changes in Application of Medically Unlikely Edits
- Coding 101 - Web-Based Coding Curriculum
Coding 101 is an eight module web-based curriculum designed for internal medicine residents and other clinical learners including established internists in need of review, other medical specialties, and practice personnel who need to understand coding.
- Transitional Care Management (TCM) Codes
- Transitional Care Management Coding Video (8:00): This recording provides background information on these new codes and tips on how to successfully bill for this code.
- TCM Code Denials
- Coding and Billing for Internists' Services: Challenges and Opportunities
- Current ACP Position on CMS Decision to Cease Recognition of CPT Consultation Service Codes for Payment Purposes
- Making Sense of CMS's new policy on consultation billing
- Aetna and United Healthcare Policies Regarding Coding Consultations
Tools and Forms
Coding Assessment Tool (login required)
Coding for Internists: The Basics (login required)
Medicare Web Based Education Tools
CMS has made available free Web-based Training (WBT) Courses that allow physicians to view and enroll online.
- Report insurer problems using the Health Plan Complaint Form
- Where We Stand: Medicare Issues and Health Plan Insurance Regulations
Frequently Asked Questions
Review billing and coding issues that are important to internists.
Multimedia Learning Resources
Earn CME Credits
Earn CME Credits through attending live meetings, working online, or watching course recordings on your own schedule.
MKSAP 16 Holiday Special: Save 10%
Use MKSAP 16 to earn MOC points, prepare for ABIM exams and assess your clinical knowledge. For a limited time save 10% when you use priority code MK16TOP2!
Will You be Stumped? Try the Consult Guys and Earn Free CME
The Consult Guys have another stumper! How would you handle this case? Watch the video and take the CME quiz.