Center for Ethics and Professionalism
The Center develops position papers on topical issues, as well as case studies that explore ethical dilemmas encountered in everyday practice, and educational programs and resources for patients and physicians. The Center also engages in advocacy and outreach efforts.
Issues the Center has focused on include end-of-life care, stewardship of resources, the patient centered medical home, and professionalism issues such as physician-industry relations and online professionalism.
Mission and Goals
The mission of the ACP Center for Ethics and Professionalism is to advance physician and public understanding of ethics and professionalism issues in the practice of medicine, in order to enhance patient care by promoting the highest ethical standards.
With oversight by the College's Ethics, Professionalism and Human Rights Committee, the Center's goals include:
- Research and policy development, with emphasis on topics such as end-of-life care, professionalism, ethics and managed care, genetics, and human rights issues;
- Ethics and human rights policy implementation through education, outreach, public affairs, and legislative, and other efforts;
- Developing and providing assistance in the development of ethics educational tools such as case studies and resource materials, including the Website;
- Providing information and guidance to members on issues of medical ethics and professionalism;
- Collaborating with other organizations and professional societies.
Internally, the Center serves as a resource for all divisions of the College on matters of ethics and professionalism.
ACP's Ethics, Professionalism and Human Rights Committee
The ACP Ethics, Professionalism and Human Rights Committee, with the Center for Ethics and Professionalism develops and implements College policy on bioethics, human rights, and professionalism issues, and develops educational resources addressing these issues as well. The Committee also oversees the process for the review of complaints of unethical conduct against members of the College in accordance with established rules and procedures.
For more information on the Center, contact Lois Snyder Sulmasy, JD, Director, at 215.351.2835, or at email@example.com.
- Where We Stand: ACP Advocacy Issues
- End-of-Life Care Patient Education Project
- Conflict of Interest Disclosure System
Earn CME Credits
Earn CME Credits through attending live meetings, working online, or watching course recordings on your own schedule.
Reviews of the World's Top Medical Journals - FREE to ACP Members!
ACP JournalWiseSM, formerly ACP Journal Club PLUS, is now mobile optimized with optional email alerts! Get access to reviews from over 120 of the world's top medical journals alerting you to the highest quality, most clinically relevant new articles based on your preferred areas of specialty. ACP Members register your FREE account now!
Access the Depression Care Guide
This evidence-based, free online resource provides concise, practical information and strategies to enable health professionals to reduce the treatment gaps that exist for depression care. Access the Guide.