Instructions for Convocation 2014
For Governors, Governors-elect, and Chapter Awardees
The upcoming Convocation ceremony will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 10, 2014 in Hall D2 of the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando. As is tradition, Governors will march with the new Fellows from their chapter. This is designed to welcome the new Fellows and give them a sense of affiliation, as well as help the Governors get to know their new Fellows. Governors-elect and Chapter Awardees have also been invited to march with the new Fellows from their chapter. You should have already received an invitation to participate in Convocation. If you have RSVP’d, you will receive final confirmation via email approximately one month before the Convocation Ceremony.
Governors, Governors-elect, and Chapter Awardees are asked to pick up their regalia in Hall D1 of the Orange County Convention Center between 4:30 and 5:00 p.m. to allow time to greet the new Fellows and to arrange for line-up. Look for signs that say “Governors Regalia” in white letters on red background. The fabric “wall” around the area will be solid red. Governors will be given an accessory such as a ribbon or sash to wear just for Convocation that designates their region/chapter. Governors-elect and Chapter Awardees will also wear an identifying accessory. Chapter Awardees are encouraged to wear any medals that they may have received for the award.
Assembly and Line-Up
After putting on their regalia, Governors and others should go immediately to the New Fellows/Governors Assembly Area, also in Hall D1. Look for signs that say “New Fellows/Governors Assembly.” The fabric “wall” around the area will be black and white. Governors, Governors-elect, Chapter Awardees, and new Fellows will be asked to assemble by chapter in designated sections of the area so that each chapter group will be able to march together, led by the Governor or their proxy. The line of march will form at 5:45 p.m. Please be prepared for a long wait. Because of the number of new Fellows and the size of the Stage Party, assembly and line-up will be time-consuming, and the procession will last around 20 minutes.
Lines of March/Participation in Ceremony
- International chapters will march by country instead of in a combined group. (Note that in the New Fellows/Governors Assembly Area, international chapters will be spread out alphabetically rather than together.) Fellows without chapters will march together, led by the Chair of the International Council.
- U.S. Armed Services chapters will march individually instead of as a combined group.
- There will be two lines of march, and signs indicating the aisle of march for each chapter/region will be displayed in the Assembly room as well as the back of the auditorium.
- As they enter the hall for the procession, the new Fellows will be greeted and congratulated by the Officers.
- There will be a chapter roll call during the ceremony. Chapters will stand one at a time and remain standing until all groups are standing, and then the ACP Pledge will be recited. All Fellows (including Governors, Governors-Elect, and Chapter Awardees) are invited to recite the Pledge in unison. The Pledge can be found in the back of the Convocation Program, which you may pick up during the processional.
Please note that no reserved seating tickets are necessary for guests, as all guest seating in Hall D2 is open. There will be ample seating available. However, guests should arrive early to ensure good seats and should be seated before 5:50 p.m., as no one will be seated during the processional.
After the Ceremony
The recessional will lead directly back to the Assembly/Gowning areas. Please return your regalia in the Governors Regalia area and be sure to collect all of your belongings.
Questions about Dinner Arrangements
Convocation will last from 6:00 p.m. until approximately 7:30 p.m. Those of you who want to make dinner reservations should make them for no earlier than around 8:00 p.m.
If You Cannot Attend Convocation
Some Governors cannot march with their new Fellows because they are participating in Convocation as part of the Stage Party. If you are a Governor and you cannot march with your new Fellows and have not told us, please let us know as soon as possible. You may contact Katie Buell at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the absence of a Governor-elect, Governors may be asked to designate someone else to lead the new Fellows from their chapter.
Enhancing Recognition of New Fellows
To enhance recognition of new Fellows at Convocation, a number of innovations that proved successful in the past will be repeated. Beyond Convocation, there will be a “Wall of Fame” display with new Fellows’ names, located in the Convention Center.
Log in to My Membership to pay your dues, change your address, and search the Membership Directory.
Recommend ACP Membership to your colleagues and earn a significant discount on your membership dues or even free membership. Help strengthen the voice of internal medicine!