The Young Physicians Corner
ACP Resources for Young Physicians
- Clinical Guidelines
ACP produces highly-respected, evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Recent topics include: Hormonal Testing and Pharmacologic Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction, Screening for HIV in Health Care Settings, and Using Second-Generation Antidepressants to Treat Depressive Disorders. Free to members.
- ACP’s Clinical Skills Program offers a variety of training programs on office-based procedures, physical examinations, and communication skills at ACP's annual Internal Medicine Meeting, or through videos and training modules. Topics include: Clinical Breast Examination, Common Skin Biopsy Techniques, Arthrocentesis and Joint Injection, and more. Clinical Skills training is included in the Internal Medicine meeting registration, or by purchasing a video at a member discount.
- PIER is an online decision support tool offering more than 490 modules focusing on the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Evidence-based, regularly updated, CME credit available. Free to members.
- Annals of Internal Medicine, the leading internal medicine journal, publishes original research reviews, clinical guidelines, commentaries, and essays related to the practice of internal medicine. Annals also includes two regular monthly features, In the Clinic, a review of best practices for managing common clinical conditions, and ACP Journal Club which offers reviews of the most clinically relevant and highest quality new studies from more than 130 journals. Free to print subscription and online access for members. (Special dues categories exist that determine specific benefits available.)
- ACP JournalWise is a new mobile-friendly website that helps you stay on top of the medical literature from around the world. You set up your preferences by specialty area, and JournalWise alerts you when important new journal articles are reviewed. The mobile format makes it easy for you to check in whenever you have a few minutes for reading. You can’t read it all, so we do it for you! Free to members.
- ACP Internist & ACP Internist Weekly report on new developments in clinical medicine, practice management, and public policy, along with updates on College initiatives. The Weekly edition is delivered via email every Tuesday. Free to members.
- ACP Hospitalist & ACP HospitalistWeekly keeps readers current on all aspects of hospital medicine, including: clinical issues, career trends, research, and practice management. The Weekly edition is delivered via email every Wednesday. Free to members. You must sign up for a free subscription to these publications.
- ACP Press book titles range from guides for those new to teaching and publishing to detailed instruction for internists selecting an EHR. Many books are available in e-book format. Discount for members.
- MKSAP 16 reinforces the information you know and helps you identify topics that need additional work with over 1,000 pages of syllabus text, and nearly 1,100 multiple-choice questions. ACP members save up to $200 on the purchase of MKSAP.
- Pocket Guide to Selected Preventive Services for Adults
Now available in two formats! ACP has assembled this highly valuable information on adult screening and vaccination recommendations for its members and enabled access to this guide in either a PDF version, or a mobile version.
- ACP’s Patient Education Resources include printed HEALTH TiPS that help patients to ask their physician questions related to their conditions, VIDEO HEALTH TiPS, which are short, easy to understand, patient-centered health literate videos, and Everyday Self Management Guides that teach patients how to manage their chronic illnesses. Free to members.
- ACP Meetings
ACP hosts a variety state, national and international scientific meetings throughout the year. All scientific meetings provide attendees with diverse clinical learning opportunities. At the national level, ACP hosts the annual Internal Medicine Meeting usually held in April. Discount for members.
- ACP eCollege
ACP eCollege webcasts and recordings let you learn and earn CME on your own schedule. These can be accessed on your PC, mobile player (MP3 files), or DVD. Webcasts from the annual Internal Medicine meeting offer the knowledge and CME credit derived from the meeting to those who were unable to attend. Board Review course recordings present complete reviews of internal medicine. 10% discount for members.
- Annals of Internal Medicine
Up to three articles from each issue are designated for CME credit, and companion CME quizzes are provided online. Links to quizzes are provided on the Annals of Internal Medicine home page, tables of contents, and on the CME-designated articles themselves. Free to members.
PIER, the Physicians' Information and Education Resource, offers a diary-based, Point of Care CME system that allows physicians to earn CME credits. Free to members.
Get CME credits with MKSAP! MKSAP includes over 1,100 challenging multiple choice questions covering all subspecialties of internal medicine. ACP members save up to $200 on the purchase of MKSAP.
- Answering ABIM SEP Module Questions
If you choose to earn self-evaluation points through the ABIM modules, ACP makes it easy to find the answers. We offer links to knowledge resources relating to each question for most modules. Free to members.
- Using MKSAP for Self-Evaluation of Medical Knowledge Points
MKSAP® allows you to apply directly to the ABIM for Self-Evaluation of Medical Knowledge points. Simply complete MKSAP tests in the digital or print formats to earn up to 80 of the required points. Submit your test records directly to ABIM through ACP's online submission form. This service is free to MKSAP subscribers.
- MKSAP for Exam Preparation
Study for the ABIM secure exam with ACP's Medical Self-Assessment Program (MKSAP®) the gold standard in Board prep. MKSAP offers flexible formats that make it easy for you to study wherever and whenever you choose. ACP members save up to $200 on the purchase of MKSAP.
- Board Review Courses
ACP offers several options for board review courses to help you prepare for the ABIM recertification exam. Choose from 2-3 day MOC preparation courses, or 4-6 day comprehensive Internal Medicine board review courses. ACP members save hundreds of dollars on all of these courses.
- Internal Medicine Meeting
ACP's annual Internal Medicine meeting is the premier meeting for the specialty and offers over 200 educational sessions in internal medicine and its subspecialties. Earn CME by attending ACP's annual meeting. ACP members save up to $200 on registration.
- MKSAP® 16
The latest edition of the Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program® (MKSAP®) 16 provides you with the most current and critical information in the core of internal medicine so you can stay aware of what you need to know as a practicing physician in internal medicine today. MKSAP 16 is widely considered the go-to source when preparing for the Boards and is also valuable for clinical reference, Available as an 11-book set and a digital format that includes an App so you can now work offline as well as online. For the best value, MKSAP 16 Complete includes the print books, the digital format, Board Basics 3 and 4 MKSAP 16 Online Updates. ACP members receive a substantial discount and save up to $200 off the purchase of MKSAP.
- Center for Practice Improvement and Innovation
ACP's Center for Practice Improvement and Innovation (CPII) provides members with a series of tools, guides and resources spanning a full spectrum of business- and quality-related topics focused on aiding members in the enhancement of their practices. Free to members.
- AmericanEHR Partners
AmericanEHR Partners is a FREE resource to help ACP members compare, evaluate and select a certified EHR system for their practice. Free to members.
- Medical Home Builder
ACP's Medical Home Builder (MHB) provides affordable online guidance for practices involved in incremental quality improvement changes - or significant practice transformation. The MHB also provides guidance in setting up a new practice. With an intuitive web-based interface, the self-paced program guides practices through a simple, yet thorough, process for practice evaluation. Discount for members.
- Medical Laboratory Evaluation
ACP's U.S.-based Medical Laboratory Evaluation (MLE) program provides Proficiency Testing services for those who perform diagnostic testing where blood and bodily fluids are drawn. Annual administration fee of $75 waived for ACP members.
- Young Physicians Practice Management Survival Handbook
Learn how ACP can help you start and manage your practice - understand the basics of coding, keeping up with current practice guidelines, and so much more.
- ACP Career Connection
Registering with ACP Career Connection allows you to build, edit and store your profile to submit to employers. Your profile is intended for your use when applying for a job and is not searchable by employers. Receive e-mail alerts sent each Tuesday when jobs matching your criteria become available by opting to receive Early Job Notifiers. Free to members.
- Leadership Enhancement
Offered exclusively to ACP members, the Leadership Enhancement and Development (LEAD) Program targets internists early in their careers and offers many activities designed to provide participants with the skills, resources, and experiences necessary to become effective leaders in any setting. Free to members.
- Get Published
Submit your work to Annals of Internal Medicine and reach a broader audience of physicians while also enhancing patient care. Articles are subject to a rigorous review process to ensure that the most relevant, influential and credible information is presented.
Fellowship in the American College of Physicians is recognition of dedication to the internal medicine profession, and serves as an acknowledgement of involvement and leadership within the internal medicine community.
Special Interest Groups
Connect with other ACP members through ACP's Special Interest Groups. These members-only groups promote community and networking through lively online discussions. Current groups include Hospital Medicine, Physician Educators, Women in Medicine, and many more. Free and exclusive to members.
ACP is committed to supporting efforts that improve the practice of internal medicine. Our mission is to enhance the quality and effectiveness of health care by fostering excellence and professionalism in the practice of internal medicine.
Advocates for Internal Medicine Network
The College greatly depends upon year-round grassroots support from over 7,000 ACP Advocates for continued success on Capitol Hill. Advocates communicate with their members of Congress on issues of importance to medical students, internists and their patients, and report the results back to ACP.
Legislative Action Center
The web-based Legislative Action Center gives members an easy way to respond to current ACP legislative alerts, find out who their federal legislators are, and compose an e-mail or call their members of Congress.
The ACP Advocate
Edited by the College's Washington, D.C. Governmental Affairs Division, The ACP Advocate is a bi-weekly, e-newsletter created to provide ACP members with news about public policy issues affecting internal medicine and patient care. Free to members; must sign up to receive it.
The ACP Advocate Blog
Bob Doherty, ACP's senior vice president of Governmental Affairs and Public Policy, writes a weekly blog that invites commentary on provocative and intriguing health policy discussions. It seeks to inform readers and to elicit commentary from across the political spectrum.
What is ACP?
The American College of Physicians (ACP) is an international organization of internists. ACP is the largest medical-specialty organization and second-largest physician group in the United States. The College has a membership base of over 130,000, which includes internists, internal medicine subspecialists, and medical students, residents, and fellows in the US and other countries.
The Mission of ACP
To enhance the quality and effectiveness of health care by fostering excellence and professionalism in the practice of medicine.
The Board of Governors is ACP's advisory body to the College's policy-making body, the Board of Regents. Masters, Fellows and Members who have belonged to ACP for at least two years have the opportunity to vote for an ACP Governor to represent his or her concerns and interests.
ACP Chapters & Regions
The College conducts many of its activities through local units called chapters and regions. In addition to implementing local programs, most chapters hold an annual scientific meeting known as a chapter meeting. ACP chapter meetings provide a forum for updating clinical knowledge and skills, exchanging ideas, discussing issues, earning CME credit, and hearing from your local Governor about topics important to you. ACP has international chapters in: Brazil, Canada, Central America, Chile, Japan, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and Venezuela.
The Council of Young Physicians supports the professional development and quality of life for physicians who are 16 years or less beyond medical school.
ACP's Council of Subspecialty Societies (login required) addresses matters affecting general internal medicine and its subspecialties.
- Volunteering Resources
The College maintains a volunteerism networking database to enable ACP members involved or interested in volunteerism and community service to connect with each other about volunteer opportunities.
Reach out to other ACP members through Member Connection, the ACP Member Directory (login required). This searchable directory provides contact information for all ACP members, and access is only available to ACP members.
Group Insurance Discount
ACP members are eligible to apply for competitively-priced group insurance plans, offered through Marsh U.S. Consumer.
- Liability Insurance Discounts
ACP offers members access to The Doctors Company's medical professional liability program, providing members with superior protection from the largest national insurer of physician and surgeon medical liability insurance in the United States. Members save up to 5% for those with favorable claim histories.
Get the exclusive American College of Physicians visa card
Earn $100 cash back bonus after qualifying transactions. Earn cash back and show your support for ACP with the BankAmericard Cash RewardsTM credit card. Available only to members.
- ACP Logo and Gift Items
ACP members can purchase specially-designed College logo gift items. For information and to see gift items, visit the ACP Logo Items section of ACP Online. Available for purchase.
Council of Young Physicians
The Council of Young Physicians (CYP) was established in June 2005 to enhance the professional development and quality of life for young physicians. The CYP is responsible for:
- Developing courses and networking opportunities for young physicians at the Annual meeting
- Ensuring the views of young physicians are reflected in all College deliberations and discussions
- Engaging young physician activity and stimulating advocacy at the chapter level
Join ACP Now:
Council of Young Physicians Quick Links
- About the Council of Young Physicians
- Achieving more with ACP: Advocacy
- Achieving More with ACP: Membership
- Leadership Enhancement and Development
- Chapter Councils of Young Physicians (CCYP's)
- ACP Leadership Day Grant Application
Clinical & Publication Quick Links
Log in to My Membership to pay your dues, change your address, and search the Membership Directory.
Recommend ACP Membership to your colleagues and earn a significant discount on your membership dues or even free membership. Help strengthen the voice of internal medicine!