Medical Student Perspectives: Health Policy Internship
We have very exciting news for medical students interested in public policy and advocacy: ACP is launching its Health Policy Internship Program. This internship represents a unique opportunity for a medical student to develop legislative knowledge and advocacy skills by working directly with the College’s Washington staff and taking a key role in ACP’s annual Leadership Day (http://capwiz.com/acponline/home/LD). Two positions are available, one for a Medical Student Member and one for an Associate Member of ACP.
Description: The ACP Health Policy Internship provides a multifaceted opportunity to learn about the legislative process, health policy, and advocacy in organized medicine. Interns will research and analyze current issues in health and medical education policy, assisting with ongoing advocacy initiatives, and the development of advocacy materials. Interns will have the opportunity to attend Congressional hearings, coalition meetings, and accompany government affairs staff on lobby visits to members of Congress and their staff. The internship will culminate in a final project of the Briefing for Students and Physicians-In-Training during ACP’s Leadership Day.
Eligibility: Candidates should be enrolled in an LCME or AOA accredited medical school or an internal medicine training program and be a member in good standing of ACP at the time of application and for the duration of the fellowship. All ACP Medical Student Members interested in health policy and advocacy are encouraged to apply. Relocation at your own expense to Washington, D.C., for the month is required.
Duration: The internship will last for 4 weeks from mid-April to mid-May. The start and end dates are flexible, however, attendance at ACP’s Leadership Day on May 24-25 is required. Ideally, the intern would start the week of April 25 and stay through Leadership Day.
Salary: A stipend of $2,000 will be paid.
Please submit the following by December 15, 2010:
- An updated curriculum vitae
- Letters of recommendation
Please include the following letters of recommendation:
- A letter of endorsement from your ACP Governor
- A letter of recommendation from a supervisor or faculty member who can evaluate your professional aptitude.
- A letter from your medical school - Please include a letter from your medical school Dean or designee that confirms you are in good academic standing and that your medical school is supportive of your application.
- Personal statement of interest - Please write a personal statement that demonstrates your past experiences in health policy or legislative matters, and why you would like to pursue this opportunity. (less than 750 words)
- Legislative Essay - Please identify an area of interest in national health policy and lobby this issue as an informed advocate for organized medicine. This writing sample should be substantive and concise (no more than 2 pages.)
Interested candidates should electronically submit all required application materials (in one complete packet) no later than December 15, 2010 to firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE.
Match Day 2012: An Exciting Experience
Go behind the scenes at Match Day 2012 at The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania and hear Dr. Katrina Armstrong, Chief of the Internal Medicine Division at Penn Medicine describe being part of the Match Day experience.
Students: Join ACP for Free
Benefits of Membership for Students: ACP's free Medical Student Membership includes benefits designed especially to meet students' needs.
Join Now: Sign-up today and begin enjoying the benefits of ACP Medical Student Membership.
Find a Residency
Search ACP's Internal Medicine Residency Database for information on all internal medicine residency programs in the U.S. and Canada. (ACP Members only)
Earn MOC Points for Medical Knowledge
ACP offers its members many ways to earn ABIM MOC points for Medical Knowledge and to make the process easier. See details.
Ceramic Bistro-Style ACP Mug
Enjoy your morning brew and show your ACP spirit with our 15-ounce dishwasher- and microwave-safe mug. Enjoy free shipping within the continental U.S.