Advocacy Brief: Department of Education Publishes Final Rules on Higher Education Reauthorization
The Department of Education recently published four sets of final rules for the federal student loan programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act.
With regard to medical school financial aid, the regulations:
- Amend the calculation of monthly payments under the Income-Based Repayment (IBR) program to adjust for spouses who both elect IBR;
- Increase graduate student annual and aggregate loan maximums in the Perkins Loan Program from $6,000 to $8,000, and from $40,000 to $60,000, respectively;
- Describe the required content for "codes of conduct" and require institutions to develop and adopt such codes;
- Require institutions to report on reimbursements received for certain service on lender advisory boards;
- Require institutions to describe for prospective and enrolled students the terms and conditions of the loans students receive under the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL), Direct Loan, and Perkins Loan programs;
- Eliminate the requirement that borrowers make ''written'' requests to obtain a forbearance on their Perkins Loan;
- Reduce from 12 to nine the number of consecutive on-time, monthly payments a borrower must make to rehabilitate a defaulted Perkins Loan; and,
- Modify the entrance and exit counseling requirements.
The regulations are effective July 1, 2010.
Students: Join ACP for Free
Benefits of Membership for Students: ACP's free Medical Student Membership includes benefits designed especially to meet students' needs.
Join Now: Sign-up today and begin enjoying the benefits of ACP Medical Student Membership.
Find a Residency
Search ACP's Internal Medicine Residency Database for information on all internal medicine residency programs in the U.S. and Canada. (ACP Members only)
Reviews of the World's Top Medical Journals - FREE to ACP Members!
|ACP JournalWiseSM is mobile optimized with optional email alerts! Get access to reviews from over 120 of the world's top medical journals alerting you to the highest quality, most clinically relevant new articles based on your preferred areas of specialty. ACP Members register your FREE account now!|
New CME Option: Internal Medicine 2014 Recordings
New CME Package
|Includes 75 of the most popular sessions in internal medicine and the subspecialties. Stream the sessions, answer brief quizzes and earn CME credit. See details.|