Advocacy Brief: House Economic Stimulus Package Includes Provisions to Support Primary Care
The U.S. House of Representatives is considering an $825 billion economic stimulus package that contains $157 billion in health care related provisions. Several provisions support and strengthen the nation's primary care infrastructure, clearly showing that Congress and the incoming Obama administration view primary care as a critical health care component in the nation's overall economic recovery plan.
Specifically, the draft measure provides $600 million to train primary care health professionals, such as primary care physicians, dentists and nurses, while also helping medical students who agree to practice in underserved areas after graduation pay their medical school expenses through the National Health Service Corps.
Other Health Care Provisions
Other provisions in the economic stimulus package related to health care spending include:
- $20 billion for health care information technology
- $1.1 billion for comparative effectiveness research conducted by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- $550 million to modernize technology at Indian Health Service hospitals and health care facilities;
- $3 billion to promote preventive care and wellness programs;
- $1.5 billion for renovations and expansions of community health centers;
- $900 million for research into an experimental pandemic flu vaccine and countermeasures for potential chemical and biological attacks.
Students: Join ACP for Free
Benefits of Membership for Students: ACP's free Medical Student Membership includes benefits designed especially to meet students' needs.
Join Now: Sign-up today and begin enjoying the benefits of ACP Medical Student Membership.
Find a Residency
Search ACP's Internal Medicine Residency Database for information on all internal medicine residency programs in the U.S. and Canada. (ACP Members only)
MKSAP 16 Holiday Special: Save 10%
Use MKSAP 16® to earn MOC points, prepare for ABIM exams and assess your clinical knowledge. For a limited time save 10% when you use priority code MKPROMO! Order now.
Maintenance of Certification:
What if I Still Don't Know Where to Start?
Because the rules are complex and may apply differently depending on when you last certified, ACP has developed a MOC Navigator. This FREE tool can help you understand the impact of MOC, review requirements, guide you in selecting ways to meet the requirements, show you how to enroll, and more. Start navigating now.