Medical Student Members- Get Involved In ACP
2011-2012 Council of Student Members Call for Nominations
If you are active in your local chapter or internal medicine interest group at your medical school, get involved nationally by running for a seat on the ACP Council of Student Members (CSM). The CSM is responsible for planning programs for the annual meeting for medical students and providing a student perspective on current issues impacting the field of internal medicine.
To be eligible you must currently be:
- An ACP Medical Student Member who is currently enrolled in their first, second, or third year at an LCME or AOA accredited medical school
To be an effective council member you must commit to:
- Serve on the CSM for a term of one to three years ending upon graduation from medical school and beginning at the College’s Annual Business Meeting (April 9, 2011)
- Travel to Philadelphia once a year for council meetings and participate in conference calls/webinars. The CSM typically meets in September of each year.
- Serve as the Medical Student representative on one of the Colleges permanent committees during his or her term. Serving on a committee may require at least one additional trip to Philadelphia.
- Spend approximately 1-2 hours bimonthly on CSM work such as communicating with medical student members in your region via email, reviewing draft ACP policy papers, attending chapter events for medical students, and working on council projects.
2011-2012 Open Seats: If you reside in one of the regions listed below, consider running for an open seat in that region.
- North Eastern Region (includes CT, DC, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV) – multiple seats open
- Southern Region (includes AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, PR, SC, TN, TX)- multiple seats open
- Midwestern Region (includes IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, ND, NE, OH, SD, WI) (aka Midwestern region) multiple seats open
- Western Region (AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NM, NV, OR, UT, WA, WY)
- Uniformed Services Representative (represents Air Force, Army, and Navy Chapters)
How to Apply:
CSM candidates may be self-nominated. Council members serve one to three year terms, depending on where they are in their medical school careers. Nominees must submit a statement of candidacy, current curriculum vitae (CV), and one letter of recommendation. The statement of candidacy is a letter from the nominee indicating his or her interest in joining the Council. This statement should not exceed one typed page. To see a sample statement of candidacy, see below.
The CSM encourages medical students to join the Council early in their medical school careers and realizes that it may be difficult for a first-year student to obtain a letter of recommendation from a medical school professor who knows the student well. Therefore, the letter of recommendation does not need to be written by an internal medicine interest group advisor or a medical school professor. The letter of recommendation may be written by a former college professor, by an advisor from a leadership position that was held prior to entering medical school, or by anyone else who knows the nominee in such a capacity.
Nomination materials must be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59 p.m. on January 15, 2011. Materials should be addressed to:
ACP Council of Student Members
c/o Amy Allen Collins
The elections will be held in mid-February and candidates will be notified of the results in early March. Questions regarding the election should be sent to ACP staff at email@example.com.
Students: Join ACP for Free
Benefits of Membership for Students: ACP's free Medical Student Membership includes benefits designed especially to meet students' needs.
Join Now: Sign-up today and begin enjoying the benefits of ACP Medical Student Membership.
MKSAP for Students 5 Digital
Ensure your success on the IM Clerkship rotation and exams. Study the material recommended by the Clerkship Directors in Internal Medicine and ACP with this integrated digital product. The full content of MKSAP for Students 5 and Internal Medicine Essentials for Students is presented on the product website, with links between questions and textbook. Questions can also be accessed through the new Osmosis medical app and website using a unique push-notification system. Learn more.
Find a Residency
Search ACP's Internal Medicine Residency Database for information on all internal medicine residency programs in the U.S. and Canada. (ACP Members only)
Reviews of the World's Top Medical Journals - FREE to ACP Members!
|ACP JournalWiseSM is mobile optimized with optional email alerts! Get access to reviews from over 120 of the world's top medical journals alerting you to the highest quality, most clinically relevant new articles based on your preferred areas of specialty. ACP Members register your FREE account now!|
New CME Option: Internal Medicine 2014 Recordings
New CME Package
|Includes 75 of the most popular sessions in internal medicine and the subspecialties. Stream the sessions, answer brief quizzes and earn CME credit. See details.|