Leadership Development Courses at Internal Medicine 2010
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
PRE 1005 Beyond the Basics: Advanced Leadership Thinking
- Define the principles of cultural change and apply these principles to successful strategic thinking and planning.
- Demonstrate skills needed to create a shared vision among a group of colleagues.
- Identify and demonstrate strategies to empower and encourage others.
- Identify and demonstrate the competencies needed to manage change.
Thursday, April 22, 2010
2:15 PM - 3:45 PM
PN 026 Controlling Health Care Costs and Expanding Access to Health Insurance: New Challenges and New Approaches
- What is the current situation regarding access to health insurance, what are the implications of lack of health insurance, and what is ACP doing about it?
- Why are health care costs rising and what is the impact on the number of uninsured?
- What strategies and policies are being considered to reduce health care costs and what is the internist's role in addressing the cost problem?
4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
MTP 116 Leadership for the 21st Century: The Ten Tenets of Leadership
- Discuss historic figures such as Mahatma Gandhi, Florence Nightingale, and Winston Churchill, as well as contemporary leaders and examine what makes them effective.
- Examine whether Adolf Hitler, who was certainly a charismatic figure and fiery orator, was a great leader.
- What are some of the qualities and attributes of the great leaders?
- What is leadership, and can it be taught or is it something you are born with?
- Discuss 10 Tenets of Leadership.
Friday, April 23, 2010
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
PN 031 Washington Report: Key Health Policy Issues Concerning Internal Medicine
- What are the key health policy issues that are being considered by Congress and the federal executive and regulatory agencies that will affect internists and their patients?
- What regulatory and administrative changes are being considered that will affect academic internal medicine?
- What is ACP's public policy advocacy agenda?
MTP 064 Teaching Medicine: Professional Development Through Mentoring and Guiding
- What are the generational differences which affect mentoring for professionalism in the 21st century?
- What is the role of the mentor at difficult stages of a physician’s professional development?
- What are specific strategies for mentoring unique populations in academics – i.e. women, underrepresented minorities, and foreign minorities, foreign medical graduates?
2:15 PM - 3:45 PM
PN 021 Tools for IMGs to Succeed in Academic and Practice Settings
- What’s the best and most persuasive way for IMGs to market themselves to residency and fellowship programs and to potential employers?
- How can IMGs improve their verbal and nonverbal communication skills in working with patients and fellow professionals?
- What do IMGs most need to know about American medical culture?
- What do IMGs most need to know about American popular culture?
PN 022 Five Tips for Effectively Managing the Work/Life Balance
- What are the barriers to balancing work and other interests?
- How does one prioritize work so that balance can be achieved?
- Identify unique opportunities or techniques which promote balance.
- Identify self goals and learn skills to achieve those goals.
4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
MTP 117 Health and Healthcare Disparities 2010
- Where do we stand in conquering health and healthcare disparities?
- What are the next steps in moving us forward to eliminating health disputes?
PN 017 Conflict Management and Assertiveness for Women Physicians
- What is the difference between negotiation and conflict management?
- What strategies and styles do people use to resolve conflict, and when can each be used most productively?
- How is “assertiveness” defined, and what are the payoffs?
- What issues for women physicians are specifically attached to these two overlapping skill areas of conflict management and assertiveness?
PN 041 What Makes a Good Neighbor? The Interface between the Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) and Subspecialty Practices
- What is a PCMH neighbor?
- What real life "lessons learned" are available from PCMH demonstrations exploring the interface between the PCMH and subspecialty practices?
- How can service agreements facilitate the linkage between PCMH and subspecialty practices?
Saturday, April 24, 2010
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
WSO 201 Presentation Skills for Physicians: Tips from a Pro
See a master teacher in action and learn how to polish your presentation skills. It's not enough to know your subject matter inside and out. How you deliver your message is equally important. Scott Litin, MD, MACP, Professor of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic and one of the highest-rated speakers at ACP's annual meeting will share tips that are certain to enhance your presentation skills. Learn how to pace your presentation, beginning with a compelling opening and ending with a strong closing. Be aware of body language that can either enhance or detract from your presentation. Learn technical tips that separate amateurs from professionals. Apply the skills you'll learn from Dr. Litin to make your next presentation go better than your last.
- Organize a teaching presentation with special emphasis on an effective opening and strong closing.
- Demonstrate helpful skills of presentation techniques.
- Create and deliver their next presentation more effectively than they have in the past.
- Constructively criticize the future presentations of others when they listen to them.
MTP 061 Looking Ahead, Do You Let Life Happen or Try to Influence It?
- Consider your definitions of "success" and how to achieve it.
- Define your most preferred personal and professional settings.
- Determine your particular boosters and barriers to change.
- Set some doable career and life goals.
PN 030 Rebuilding Primary Care and General Internal Medicine: Challenges and Solutions
- What are the current problems facing primary care?
- What needs to be done to rebuild primary care?
- What are Congress and the Administration doing to rebuild primary care?
MTP 058 Teaching Medicine: The Skillful Leader in Medical Education
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
MTP 057 Beyond Expectations: Communicating Interracially and Interculturally
- Learn how to uncover and examine one’s own mental models.
- Identify areas where one’s mental models may negatively impact relationships.
- Replace faulty mental models with more constructive ones, plus seek out new material as input.
Volunteer through ACP
ACP recognizes the importance of volunteerism and community service at both the national and local levels as part of its commitment to universal access to health care. View current volunteer opportunities and network with other ACP member volunteers today.
Internal Medicine 2014 Advance Program Now Online
Details about Internal Medicine 2014's robust offerings are now available on our Website! Use the online Schedule Planner to build and save your own schedule.