Leadership Development Courses at Internal Medicine 2009
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
PRE 904, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Essential Competencies for the Emerging Leader
- Define the core competencies for successful leadership.
- Identify and practice effective communication skills.
- Define and apply the basics of team building.
- Identify and practice effective negotiating skills.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
PRE 905, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Leadership Competencies: Beyond the Basics
- Demonstrate skills needed to create a shared vision among a group of colleagues.
- Identify and demonstrate the competencies needed to manage change.
- Define the elements of strategic thinking and demonstrate the ability to apply them.
- Define and demonstrate the strategies needed to empower and encourage others.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Teaching Residents and Fellows to Teach
- Learn to use educational techniques to become more effective clinical educators.
- Recognize “teachable moments” in the setting of the daily process of patient care.
2:15 PM PN 024
Leadership and Career Advancement for International Medical Graduates
- What unique strengths can IMGs bring to careers in U.S. medicine?
- What strategies and tools are most useful specifically to IMGs in finding jobs and advancing their careers?
- How can IMGs find mentors and models for moving up?
- What have the career paths been like for some of the most successful IMGs in various professional areas of internal medicine?
4:30 PM PN 034
New Ideas for Reforming the U.S. Health Care System: What Can Be Done to Improve Access, Quality, and Efficiency of Care?
- To provide an extremely timely and in-depth presentation on hot public policy issues related to health care reform that are of most concern to internal medicine.
- To learn what ACP is doing about these issues and how members can become involved.
- To provide an opportunity for direct questioning of public policy makers and ACP Washington staff.
Friday, April 24, 2009
9:30 AM MTP 119
Communicating Between Generations
- Identify and highlight differences in values and preferences of physicians from Generation X and Y, Baby Boomers, etc.
- Develop mechanisms for including members from any generation into an effective practice setting, hospital group, residency program, etc.
11:15 AM PN 029
Effective Negotiation Skills
- Identify areas of practice that may require negotiation.
- Effective negotiation techniques and skills.
- How to utilize negotiation communication concepts and skills.
- Identify personal strengths and opportunities for improving negotiation.
Saturday, April 25, 2009
9:30 AM MTP 116
Resolving Competing Imperatives: Medicine, Life, and You
- Develop ways to make tough decisions.
- Choose attitudes.
- Learn the 3 Rs: risks, rituals, and resilience.
- Discover fail-safe methods to say "no" when it's appropriate.
8:15 AM MTP 102
Faculty Development Presentation Skills for Physicians: Making Your Next Teaching Presentation Go Better Than Your Last
The goals of this presentation will be to convince physicians that they need effective presentation skills, teach them some effective public speaking skills, and motivate them to work on these skills. Dr. Litin will review tips and model behaviors that will enable the participant to make their next presentation go better than their last.
Upon completion of this session, participants should be able to:
- Organize a teaching presentation with special emphasis on an effective opening and strong closing.
- Demonstrate helpful skills of presentation techniques.
- Create and deliver their next presentation more effectively than they have in the past.
- Constructively criticize the future presentations of others when they listen to them.
11:15 AM PN 035
Teaching, Learning, and Assessing Medical Professionalism: Challenges and Opportunities
- Define medical professionalism.
- Appreciate medical professionalism as a core competency for physicians.
- Identify and appreciate challenges for teaching and learning medical professionalism.
- Identify means for measuring and assessing medical professionalism among learners.
2:15 PM PN 009
Leadership Skills for Internists: How to Run a Meeting, Manage Time, and Develop Consensus
- What are the key techniques for running effective meetings?
- What are the important skills for time management?
- How do effective leaders develop consensus?
Have questions about the new ABIM MOC Program?
One Click to Confidence - Free to members
ACP Smart Medicine is a new, online clinical decision support tool specifically for internal medicine. Get rapid point-of-care access to evidence-based clinical recommendations and guidelines. Plus, users can easily earn CME credit. Learn more