While property insurance understandably took the headlines during the past week, the House and Senate Health Committees took the opportunity to lay the groundwork for some dramatic legislative proposals.
Chapter representatives met with the leaders of both the House and Senate Health Committees and discussed ways in which to facilitate the creation of a Florida Health Information Network that could serve as a platform for a statewide system of E-prescribing. Also discussed was the need for a Medicaid physician pay raise, as we noted that Medicaid pays only 57% of already-decreasing Medicare, while physician services now account for less than 5% of the overall Medicaid budget. Each committee discussed each of these issues, and it is evident that some sort of legislative proposal will be forthcoming.
Other issues, while not discussed in the committees themselves, were the subject of much lobbying and coalition building. For instance, the Trial Bar appears poised to join Medicine in opposing any attempts by the insurance industry to legislatively overturn the Westside EKG case, which gave physicians the right to sue HMOs directly for violations of the Prompt Pay law.
Over 300 bills were filed last week, many of which seek to expand the scope of practice of nurses, cosmetologists, and pharmacists. We will continue to oppose such efforts.
The Chapter was honored to have a UF contingent join its staff to lobby these crucial issues. Special thanks go to Past Governor Craig S. Kitchens, M.D., FACP, Lawrence D. Klima, M.D., Council member Michelle L. Rossi, M.D., FACP, residents Jeffrey Gill, M.D., Janice Lawson,M.D., Michael Lawson,M.D., and Abe Lin, M.D. The Chapter team not only met with experienced Health Care leaders, but also focused its attention on the freshmen members of the Health Committees, laying the groundwork for the issues that are sure to emerge.
Page updated: 1/26/07
- Register today! FL Chapter Scientific Meeting
August 22-24, 2014
- Call for Abstracts for FL Chapter Scientific Meeting
Deadline: Midnight on June 23, 2014
- Call for Awards for FL Chapter Scientific Meeting
Deadline: July 15, 2014
- 2014 FL Chapter Meeting Exhibitor/Sponsorship Information Packet
- Florida Chapter Governors' Newsletter - June 2014
- Syllabus from FL Chapter Residents and Med. Students Meeting
- March 2014 of "News & Notes" from Florida's Internal Medicine Residency Programs
- View/download presentations from 2013 FL Chapter Meeting
- 2014 Florida Chapter Legislative Agenda
- FL Grassroots Advocacy Center
- Member Accomplishments