Public Policy & Advocacy Issues
Innovation Center at CMS presentation by Dr. Richard Baron given at Primary Care Summit Nov 3, 2011
May 2011 commencement addresses by Drs. Frank Bia and Atul Gawande and recent commentary by Governor McLean highlight upcoming changes in medicine
Frank Bia's commencement address at Yale Medical School graduation
Atul Gawande's commencement address at Harvard Medical School graduation
Chapter Governor Robert McLean's Commentary in Connecticut Medicine, May 2011 - "Change is Coming, and We Cannot Avoid It"
Panel on Health Reform and Delivery System Change featuring CT Governor Robert McLean and Drs. Rodney Hornbake and Keith Vom Eigen
- Recorded May 19, 2011 during the Pri-Med Conference in Hartford
View the video
Physicians’ Perspective on Wellness Programs
Connecticut CT Chapter Governor Robert McLean, MD, represented physicians across the country in a web chat posted throughout the Tribune corporation on employer-sponsored wellness programs. Members of the public and Hartford Courant Insurance Reporter Matthew Sturdevant posed questions on topics ranging from the incentives and disincentives of these programs to their long-term benefits. You can read the webchat at http://www.courant.com/health/connecticut/hc-health-chat-wellness-programs-at-work-20110422,0,4612567.htmlstory
Connecticut 2009 Primary Care Survey and Commentary
Adoption of the Medical Home in Connecticut and Commentary
An article on the adoption of the Patient Centered Medical Home in Connecticut discussed in CSMS Journal Connecticut Medicine in December 2010 with commentary from Chapter Governor Robert McLean in January 2011.
The SustiNet Health Partnership Final Report
Connecticut's statewide health reform plan SustiNet released to General Assembly in January. Governor McLean suggests reading the 2 page Executive Summary and if you wish to read more you can find the full final report on the state of Connecticut's SustiNet web site.
State Insurance Exchanges – Basic Facts
In accordance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, each state must establish an insurance exchange, collaborate with other states (multi-state exchange), or have the federal government create the state exchange. State Insurance Exchange Basic Facts
Medicare Carrier Advisory Committee
- July 30, 2010 Local Medicare Issues from Medicare Carrier Advisory Committee
Medicare Carrier Advisory Committee Archives
Connecticut Office of Health Care Access Representation
The Connecticut ACP Chapter has established a liaison for EMR information and help via Regional Extension Center. Learn more about what the Chapter is doing to help individual practices with EMR information.
Connecticut State Medical Society News
More information on Primary Care Survey Results and Legislative Updates
Leadership Day on Capitol Hill
2013 Leadership Day
415 New Jersey Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
The 21st annual Leadership Day on Capitol Hill will be held on May 21-22, 2013 at the Liaison Hotel in Washington, D.C.
Leadership Day enables the College to increase its presence on Capitol Hill and bring our issues of concern to U.S. lawmakers.
This two-day event provides ACP members with advocacy and/or media training, an update on the College's priority legislative issues; briefings from Members of Congress, Administration officials, and key Capitol Hill staffers; and an opportunity to meet with your state's elected officials. A special briefing for associate and medical students is also provided.
ACP members interested in participating in Leadership Day 2013 should contact their chapter Governor to let him/her know of your interest and to be included in the chapter delegation congressional meetings.
For more information, please contact Shuan Tomlinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-338-2746 ext. 4547.
Where the College Stands on key health policy issues, news and recent policy changes
Visit Legislative Action Center for more information about the new Advocates for Internal Medicine Network (AIMn) and the Richard Neubauer Advocate for Internal Medicine Award.
- Consumer Web site: Affordable Care Act- site provides clear, trusted, concise and understandable information--by state, by timeline, and by different patient characteristics (like small business, under or over age 65).
- An Internist’s Practical Guide to Understanding Health System Reform- practical resource guide for internists on recently-enacted health care reform legislation and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
- AmericanEHR Partners: an interactive website designed to assist medical practices compare, select, and implement electronic health records.
- The ACP Advocate: bi-weekly, e-newsletter created to provide ACP members with news about public policy issues affecting internal medicine and patient care.
- The ACP Advocate Blog by Bob Doherty
- Legislative Action Center
- Electronic Resolution System - find Chapter Sponsored Resolutions
- Member Advocacy - Other resources to help members advocate ACP policy
- White House Health Reform Web site - useful state-by-state data that highlights the current status of health care and the need for reform this year.
- Project Vote Smart - a comprehensive database that helps you identify federal and state legislators, through a zip code search, and research their positions, voting records, campaign finances, performance evaluations, and even send them an email.
- Public Policy Virtual Library (PPVL) - a repository of ACP's current and historic policies and the Policy Compendium.
Page Updated: 5/17/13